HybridZ

l24 questions

drowz

Hi, here I am, fairly new to hybridz... My last thread got shut down because I didn't do research before asking stupid questions. This time I did, so now on with my stupid questions.

I have a 73 240z, I'm not a mechanic, and don't pretend to be, but my boss who seems to like me enough (or just my car) is always offering to help out. He is mechanic, and has been working on cars forever.

As fun as my 91 hyundai excel might sound to drive I'd like something faster. Something fun and reliable when the weather is nice, and I'd also like to autocross it. Should I keep the l24, or should I look for an l28? I was thinking a cam, header, exhaust, the su carbs, and I've taken off all of the smog stuff. And I don't have any problem putting in premium fuel, if that matters...

If I just did that stuff to the l24 would that be enough? Or would it just be a waste of money?

As fun as my 91 hyundai excel might sound to drive

lmao, that's great

I would (and did) just swap an l28et in. For the amount of money you'd spend swapping one in ($500-600 plus wiring and lubes and shtuff like that), and the amount of power you'd get out of it, there's no question.

If you really wanted to go wild you could put a megasquirt system in (ANYTHING you need to know is available in the MS forum here), for around $1k said and done.

That's a bigger engine, with a turbo, and independent engine management, for around $2k +- depending on what else you do along the way.

I've spent about $4600 on my car so far, including the $1300 initial for the car, and that's estimating a high $1000 for the motor (hard to estimate, cause I stripped it out of my own 280zx)

And basically, after another $1000 or so, I can reliably run 300 horsepower to the wheels. In a car that weighs 2500 pounds, that should be a lot of fun, and to get that for $5600 is something special.

Plus, it's my daily driver, so I get hot moms checking my car out all day (it was the hot car in their hay-day ;)

lol well thank you. no problem with the help

you don't need to just take my word for it though, if you want to go naturally aspirated, there are great things afoot as well. v-8s are a great way to go, so i'm told.

I just don't think (in all of my vast experience, ha) that going high power naturally aspirated is worth it with these cars.

pm me if you have q's about megasquirt or the turbo swap

Well, I think I want to go the na route, because I don't want to deal with efi. Because where I'll find an engine is probably a junkyard, then I'll have no idea what is wrong with the computer if it was driven to the death and so on. here's a quick question, will my e88 head work with an l28 block? And is it any better and so on.

I wouldn't discount a tough NA engine.

I have driven a LOT of different cars, and part of the enjoyment of driving IMO is the feel and the noise. Yea, turbo's sound hot, and can be extremely powerful, but too much lag can ruin that experience, especially in a daily (Till you rip someone a new one at the traffic lights)

then on the other hand, having an engine with a nice broad torque band, crisp exhaust sound, and awesome induction noise from some tripple carbs will still make your crotch itchy in all the right ways.

if you want to do a cheap build (and learn and build on it for later) then go with a decent exhaust system, good cam, and either a set of properly jetted 2" jag SU's or the standard round top SU's.

All of that on our standard L24 would be cheap and fun. for a bit more power do it on the L28 block.

For different block and head combinations (and other things) check this site out.

http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/enginedesign/

chances are the computer is probably fine. especially if its completely stock.

and if the computer is blown, just plug a new one in and away you go.

someone will have one, after they have converted to megasquirt or something.

If possible (call them first) do a compression test on the engine when your there, to make sure the cylinders arent down on pressure, that could indicate a dead or dying engine.

pull the inlet off the turbo, and check for oil in the compressor, and the pipework. feel the shaft of the turbo for side to side movement, and back and forwards movement. if there is lots (more than about .8mm), the turbo is stuffed.

while you have one of the spark plugs out, and one of the pistons at its full travel at the top of the bore, look at it, and possibly gently feel it with a screwdriver to see if the pistons are flat tops, or dished pistons.

If they are dished (which they should be for a turbo) then it wont really be so good for a NA block, as the comp ratio will be getting pretty low.

It would still work, just wouldn't feel that powerful.

Thank you all so much for helping me out on my thread.

I'm so glad my z is coming together! I found it on craigslist, but not when i searched for datsun... I searched datson, hoping someone wasn't paying attention. It had been there for over a month, then when I called him he said I was the first person (stupid of him). So I got it for $350, and I'm all kinds of excited!