HybridZ

l24 questions

drowz

If I decided to go with the l24 I have, would I be able to do 10-10.5:1 compression on high octane pump gas? And what would be the easiest way to reach this goal of mine?

That's a rather high compression ratio, especially for street. It's is easily attainable though. Just shave the head down, shim the cam towers accordingly and you should be in the 10:1 range. You may want to look at your ignition and fuel system before going to that point though. Adjusting the carbs should be easy enough, but I would question the timing and advance. I know from experience that with higher compression you'll need higher timing advance settings and with a l24 distributor you will have to either get a kit to recurve it or get a 280ZX distributor and an MSD or similar ignition system.

Okay, cool and thank you. I plan on using the su carbs, I really wanted the three deuces, but they're a little out of my price range for now... I also think I'm going to get an electronic ignition like you said, so we'll see. I really appreciate your input.

Hey! I'm in your exact same situation! I have a 240z with a 280zxt motor and a turbo from a Dodge diesel. At this point it has the stock engine mangement but the kid gave me MS v3 or whatever. My problem is that after owning the car for 4 or 5 months and running 12-13psi the motor is starting to say its farewells. The kid gave me the original motor which was a strong running motor when he did the swap but it has collected water (we did pour oil in it to try and save it, haven't opened it up yet though) but anyways I want to go back to an NA motor. My dad has talked me out of anything crazy like stroking it or raping something out because of budget (of a 17 year old). Basically my options are, rebuild l24, get headers, triples (or just the 2 SU's), or rebuild the l28zxt and swap heads since it wouldn't have a turbo anymore, unless the only difference is the cam, I'd like a nice sexy sound paired up with this flow through muffler/cherry bomb glasspack setup my dad had on one of his TR6's. Anyways, I'm just wondering which route to go, I'd like the l28 but then I'd be left with the spare motor that would just rot away and it'd be a 240 with a l28 which doesn't really fancy me but I want a good amount of power because I will miss my 13psi l28 power, most definitely... Anyone a best guess at what numbers I would have been making with the 13psi, I'm very curious. :/

Anyways, Drowz if you want my turbo stuff you can buy it, although I never saw the point of putting a nice setup on a "dinosaur" motor. I have no idea how much everything is worth (bought the car with spare wheels, motor, and Megasquirt for $5000). So if you don't really feel like piecing a bunch of turbo stuff together for one setup I can just sell you mine (intercooler, turbo, engine management etc). Your topic is really helping me with my problem too!

Cheers to all of us!

Josh

Oh and remember the cam on the ZXT is for a turbo application. I don't know anything about these motors but I do know that the cam should be shaved for the turbo so maybe you just take the came from your l24 and pop that baby in there, or go with something else. We should build up our Z's and then race with each other and see who had a "better" setup. Then again maybe not because I'm in north Texas... But hey we're budget builders! I'm depending on the money from Christmas and money from selling the turbo stuff. If I get spoiled rotten I should get $800ish from Christmas. Thats what it was last year but everyone gave me the "buy your first car" money which is generally a lot. So theres that, the turbo money and then $7 an hour at Tom Thumb and their horrible hours of 13 a week plus 13% income tax because of course the government needs to get their fair share from 17 year olds too! -_-;