HybridZ

NA to turbo conversion - questions and answers...

mikeatrpi

Forgive me for seeming dumb but as I read this thread it has helped alot with the info I am looking for but it is creating 1 big headache. I have a 77 280 and am going turbo soon, but need alittle help with head issues. Mainly what head should I run? And should I go get a 83 turbo motor to build or can I build what I have?

My experience and suggestion is that you spend a year or so reading before you do ANYTHING. Enjoy your NA (normally aspirated) car the way it sits.

I've looked back at some questions I asked in the beginning and boy was I lazy, selfish and ignorant.

If you want a turbo car, go buy one and enjoy it as it sits. You will learn and save yourself so much hassle if you take it easy and take your time.

Set yourself some goals, both HP related and financial as to what it will take to get to the HP goal.

If you don't want to do that, it's okay, but be prepared to struggle and possibly not get help. You will get the "It's been answerd before..." remark and "Search, it's all here.." answer.

Enjoy, your car either way and welcome to the Best Z site ever in my opinion!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with Jeff. Take your time and do your homework. Based on my personal experience - it would have been MUCH easier to get a donor car and do the swap rather than adding a turbo to the NA engine. It probably would have been cheaper as well - things like the megasquirt and wideband add up quick. You can argue that you'd buy those anyway if you had a donor car, but you wouldn't have to.

To directly answer your question - any of the L heads will flow well enough for modest horsepower applications. There is plenty of discussion on this in the archives.

skunk

if your 77 engine is in good shape then just install a stock turbo setup (exhaust manifold, turbo, wastegate, downpipe, j-pipe, oil pan, oil drain line, and oil feed line). then lock out the ignition advance and use a bell engineering fmu set to 55 to 60 psi of fuel pressure at 7 psi of boost (stock boost). makes a simple and cheap turbo setup. good for mid to high 14 second 1/4 mile et's at 90 to 95 mph.

Later add a megasquirt efi system, bigger injectors, more boost, intercooler, and a stronger clutch.

thanx guys. I have found what you mean with the search and its been answered before. I appreciate your info it helps a bunch. I had a 86 turbo 300, but didnt like it. I prefer the S30 models. I have been in this persuit for about 3 years now and have had very little progress. For starters my 77 came from a junkyard, so this is my personal build project. I hate to ask but any of you guys have a link or something to send me in a direction for buying a p79 or p90 head, all I can find is a bad 83 engine and dont know if it is worth the 500 bucks.

let me run through alittle of the plans for the engine. My block is getting bored to 87 or 88mm not quite sure yet. Putting Ross forged flattop pistons, H-beam rods,performance rings and head gasket, stock crank, and alittle of the small things. I am still deciding on dished or flatop, but more than likely flatops unless I can find a nice dished piston. I plan on a 10:1 ratio. So the block should be fine. Now the head is my concern. I would like to find a p90 to build but I am having a very tough time. If I stick with mine I am putting in a bigger cam and the rest of internals plus port and polishing and flowbench it.

skunk

if your 77 engine is in good shape then just install a stock turbo setup (exhaust manifold, turbo, wastegate, downpipe, j-pipe, oil pan, oil drain line, and oil feed line). then lock out the ignition advance and use a bell engineering fmu set to 55 to 60 psi of fuel pressure at 7 psi of boost (stock boost). makes a simple and cheap turbo setup. good for mid to high 14 second 1/4 mile et's at 90 to 95 mph.

Later add a megasquirt efi system, bigger injectors, more boost, intercooler, and a stronger clutch.

I'll try that later, expect some question from me then :)

I'll try that later, expect some question from me then :)

sure, I would be glad to help. I have done this on multiple z cars. makes a very nice improvement over stock for very little money.

with the right fuel pump, compression ratio, and intercooler, you can run as high as 14 psi using all the NA injection system with a fmu for fuel enrichment. Megasquirt with bigger injector works better but that fmu is so simple.

let me run through alittle of the plans for the engine. My block is getting bored to 87 or 88mm not quite sure yet. Putting Ross forged flattop pistons, H-beam rods,performance rings and head gasket, stock crank, and alittle of the small things. I am still deciding on dished or flatop, but more than likely flatops unless I can find a nice dished piston. I plan on a 10:1 ratio. So the block should be fine. Now the head is my concern. I would like to find a p90 to build but I am having a very tough time. If I stick with mine I am putting in a bigger cam and the rest of internals plus port and polishing and flowbench it.

Time to start a new thread please - I kept getting excited when I see Mike's thread bumped then get real dissapointed when I read about someone 'planning' to run a 10:1 Turbo L28.

Having a debate on my local forum, fueled by this thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=1048335

Basically you can have a fully built setup with an IC meth and a stand alone and still blow it up easy. I'd advise you to start with a 7.4 Junkyard turbo block [l28ET]. Like Mike said, it will be easier and possibly cheaper. I pulled my N/A motor to install the tapped oil pan anyways, so it's the same amount of work.

Go read these and other threads in the turbo forum, they are full of info.

• 6 months later...