HybridZ

Question about Autometer (carbon) gauges

mull

1) Anyone know if the text on the carbon face/backing of the gauge is printed/painted on there or if it's just a sticker of some sort?

2) Is it possible to remove the needle on a Autometer gauge without destroying it?

3) Ever heard of someone who's gotten Autometer to custom make (for example) a metric speedo, even if it's "only" available in mph?

921.jpg

You can call them and they will do it. I wanted some custom colors and they were going to do it. Bu I went for the Phantom's instead. Their phone # is 815-899-0800 Also get the 5" for speed and tach and 2 5/8" (66.7mm) for the main gauges. I just installed the Phantom gauges http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127360

Thanks for the optimistic reply smoorenc =)

Unfortunately, I don't think they'll do it. I filled in one of their online support forms and tried persuading them into making the speedo, oil temp/press and water temp in metric. Since they have a section called "metric" I'm not too optimistic about them custom making anything for me. They'll probably just point to the metric gauges and say "What you see is what you get".

I wish they'd at least manufacture a Ultra-lite oil temperature gauge in celcius. That way I could at least have a mechanical setup of matching gauges.

Regarding the sizes, I know about the 2 5/8", and I hate it. If it were 2 1/16" it would be a whole lot easier finding gauges. But I still want the triple 240z dashpod to match the speedo/tacho.

This is so frustrating.

Anyone know a good dash logger that deal with a LED-display that displays oil temp, oil press, water temp, volt, amp, etc and do loud warnings as well? I like gauges, but I prefer blinking and beeping when something is about to go south.

I wish Blitz would make matching speedo/tacho and fuel level BLM gauges... : (

To answer your questions...

1) Most likely they are screen printed (Painted) on.

2) Dunno

3) No

Do you already have some of the set of Autometers? Maybe you can sell them and get a complete set of Metric in another style/brand. I'm thinking that there HAS to be some decent aftermarket guages in your neck of the woods! They may not have the faux carbon backs but surely you can get close!

BTW...Phantoms rock :)

Quick Google got me this...

Stuart Warner there are several different styles of Metrics avail:

Water Temp 40-130 Dec C

http://www.sw-performance.com/index.php?page=details&p=114343

Oil Pressure 7-BAR

http://www.sw-performance.com/index.php?page=details&p=114328

Actually it looks like that have Metric versions of all these...

Air Pressure

Blower

Boost

Brake Pressure

Fuel Pressure

Nitrous Pressure

Oil Pressure

Oil Temperature

Pressure

Trans Oil Temp

Vac/Boost

Vacuum

Water Pressure

Water Temperature

Maybe not the Carbon style, but they look nice and are quality. They have a retailer finder, nothing in sweeden but there are some retailers in Europe.

http://www.sw-performance.com/retailer

Greece

France

Canada

Australia

Colombia

Italy

Mexico

Norway

Spain

Switzerland

Who said anything about prices?

I for one don't think Autometer is cheap. They're about the same

as Blitz, Defi, Apexi, GReddy, etc and so on. What über-brand do

you think is worth while? : )

The gauges in your link may be super duper, but pretty unattractive... : (

The Dash-systems look ok though =)

Autometer makes metric guages... I have a celsius water.

Read my 2nd post. I know they have metric gauges. Just not the ones I want/need.

Anyway, I just needed a Ultra-lite 2 5/8" oil temp gauge to make a full set, which seems like a problem most likely solved : )

Just a thought. For a while I ran a Smiths voltmeter by taking the guts out of my clock housing and installing the voltmeter. It was a Triumph voltmeter that I already had. I think it may have been 2-1/16 inch. I then put the clock housing back in its hole. It looked great.