HybridZ

Ls1 Heads/ford Engine = Real Hot Rodder

I've posted this in the Ford section. I'm posting this here because I think all Gen III owners should be aware that somewhere.... out there.... in a cold garage in the Midwest... next to that tractor with five hemi engines is some guy bolting up a set of Holman-Moody NASCAR Cleveland heads to an LS1. Be aware... they are OUT THERE and they're hungry.

http://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?p=138256

Actually, for me, this would be a refreshing change of pace from the usual csb/Ford chassis/glass body pricey cookie cutter street rods I see

at my local cruise.

g

Guest Morbid sn-95

Im deciding to join some of the forums that are linking my thread on 460ford.com. If you guys have any questions that you cant find on that thread, LMK.

BTW,thanks for the support.302/351w stuff can always be found at any junkyard.Im going to build the 351w,then turn my attention to 302w.I'm not going to port the heads as much on a 302,but i'm sure it will still be a nice little package that could be sprayed to make up the size difference.

Guest TeamNissan
Now THAT'S hot rodding at it's best!!! I would love to see the results from your efforts!! Oh ya, Welcome to HybridZ.

I agree 150%. I love this lol.

best heads you can buy for a Ford. ha

he better have an aftermarket block. with LSx heads and a cam he will be in stock block splitting territory.. ha

lmao not sure is a ford guy will be ready for some LSX power.:wink: i drive a 01 z28 for my daily driver and she has a yank 3500 vertor and long tubes with all the bolt ons so far with a cam sitting in my tool box. 228/288 588/588 on a 112 lsa and i have had no problem pulling 03 slowbra's. just wish i know then what i do know. would have one in the 240:biggrin:

honestly, dont put in that cam. leave the stock cam in there or get something like the G5x4. i have the G5x3 on 110 and its just as drivable as a car with a stock cam.

its all in the tune. have a good tune on the car and you wont have problems. but the "big" cam will make so much more hp

honestly, dont put in that cam. leave the stock cam in there or get something like the G5x4. i have the G5x3 on 110 and its just as drivable as a car with a stock cam.

its all in the tune. have a good tune on the car and you wont have problems. but the "big" cam will make so much more hp

what don't you like about this cam?

Guest Gr8White
lmao not sure is a ford guy will be ready for some LSX power.:wink: i drive a 01 z28 for my daily driver and she has a yank 3500 vertor and long tubes with all the bolt ons so far with a cam sitting in my tool box. 228/288 588/588 on a 112 lsa and i have had no problem pulling 03 slowbra's. just wish i know then what i do know. would have one in the 240:biggrin:

LOL, the 03 cobras are slow, try playing with a modded fox-body....

Is the White Z yours? I believe I have played with that car at Redline Raceway in Caddo Mills (and in Denton) if this is a Dallas area car....I recognize the wheelstands, that particular car recognizes my taillights!! (White/Silver Fox body GT) :-P:razz:

BTW, I'm putting an LS-2 in my Z, but that doesn't make me any less of a Ford guy!!!! :D Nothing like the ole Ford/Chevy rivalry huh?!!!

best heads you can buy for a Ford. ha

he better have an aftermarket block. with LSx heads and a cam he will be in stock block splitting territory.. ha

I seriously doubt in stock form this will be a block splitting setup. You'll need at least 500hp and HIGH revs to kill a 5.0 block (one of the weaker SBF blocks). The 5.0 is smaller displacement off the bat, so you won't have as much power as a LS motor.

The 5.0 motors that split usually put down a ton more torque than HP, which begs the quetion if it's going to be more reliable with a different torque curve or not? The LS heads should offer a completely different curve than any of common heads used.

If it DOES prove to be THAT powerful of a combination it'll really be interesting, because it should equaly make ford and chevy guys angry AND prideful. If it CAN split the block then that's some serious power, even compared to LSx standards, could make the chevy guys angry, and ford guys proud in a way. On the other hand if it DOES make that kinda power it shows the weakness of the current aftermarket heads for SBF engines making the ford guys sad, and chevy guys proud about their factory heads.

Overall I could kinda care less. I just wanna see it run and be sucessful. If it really does work I'd love to see someone else do a 427W shortblock with LS7 heads...

LOL, the 03 cobras are slow, try playing with a modded fox-body....

Is the White Z yours? I believe I have played with that car at Redline Raceway in Caddo Mills (and in Denton) if this is a Dallas area car....I recognize the wheelstands, that particular car recognizes my taillights!! (White/Silver Fox body GT) :-P:razz:

BTW, I'm putting an LS-2 in my Z, but that doesn't make me any less of a Ford guy!!!! :D Nothing like the ole Ford/Chevy rivalry huh?!!!

lol no sir it wasn't me. i think your thinking of a guy they call "hell yeah". yes this car in the pic is mine and i have been out at denton but it was about 2 years ago when the car had the IRS still in it. I haven't been to redline yet, kinda a far drive since i drive the car from Irving.

oh and that wheel stand was the very 1st time it has ever came up that high, I went from a 150shot to a 250 and i guess she liked it. ;)

nah a little rivalry/trash talk never hurt anybody, part of the sport.

what don't you like about this cam?

its tiny. might as well just stick with the stock cam. you wont be gaining very much hp over stock and you will lose some drivablity with that cam.. why not just loose a bit more and get a hp return thats worth it?

If it DOES prove to be THAT powerful of a combination it'll really be interesting, because it should equaly make ford and chevy guys angry AND prideful. If it CAN split the block then that's some serious power, even compared to LSx standards, could make the chevy guys angry, and ford guys proud in a way. On the other hand if it DOES make that kinda power it shows the weakness of the current aftermarket heads for SBF engines making the ford guys sad, and chevy guys proud about their factory heads..

my cam/header LS1 car does 390+rwhp through an auto and stock head. thats pretty close to 500 crank... spray on it... well over the spit number.

and the only thing that could happen is that Ford boys are embarassed that someone is putting stock LS1 heads on their motors and making better hp than anything they can come up with.

i read thru the thread and link, the first question I had was "WHY BOTHER"

think about it, the aftermarket LS1 blocks for the chevy are stronger, than the ford, easier to work with, have all parts readily available with far less fabrication, have a 6 bolt main cap and potentially more displacement.

theres no point in building the mix/match combo as theres only increased costs, no benefits, other than having an odd ball combo

besides the LS1 has a 4.4" bore center the ford has a 4.38 bore center, the outer two ford pistons on neach bank won,t be centered as well and thier might be shouding problems

No it's not running yet pop.

And grumpy, I totally agree, except... The guy doing this got the heads for $75. Couple that with the fact you can get a SBF for pretty cheap these days and you could have similar LS1 power numbers with far less cost. Sure it's a crap load of work, but if you have the skills and the time to do it why not do it?

The bore centering issue is one worth noting, and I'd suspect might change the reliability of the bottom end even if it doesn't have clearence issues because of it. But the problem might be minimized with an increased bore, but then you have to have machine work done on the block, increasing the cost, reducing the reason to do the swap to begin with.

"geezer, grumpy, pop, anyone ever notice the guys with the really old sounding user names hang around the v8 forum? somethin to that maybe... lol"

AS YOU get OLDER YOU generally learn to quit beating your head against stone walls and stop beating dead horses (WISDOM OF SORTS) and look around before starting a project to find out both what works and what mistakes others have made, so you can avoid them, rather than duplicating them, large displacement V8s with the proper components spinning at reasonable rpm levels make for both huge power and low maintinance..........

EXAMPLE

it usually takes alot less work/ less total expence,to install a killer 383-427 sbc to make 500 hp plus than it takes to build a killer 283-355 to make similar power levels

"geezer, grumpy, pop, anyone ever notice the guys with the really old sounding user names hang around the v8 forum? somethin to that maybe... lol"

AS YOU get OLDER YOU generally learn to quit beating your head against stone walls and stop beating dead horses (WISDOM OF SORTS) and look around before starting a project to find out both what works and what mistakes others have made, so you can avoid them, rather than duplicating them, large displacement V8s with the proper components spinning at reasonable rpm levels make for both huge power and low maintinance..........

EXAMPLE

it usually takes alot less work/ less total expence,to install a killer 383-427 sbc to make 500 hp plus than it takes to build a killer 283-355 to make similar power levels

that's what I meant by "somethin to that maybe..."

lmao, i'll drift back into the background now, and continue reading this crazy thread.