HybridZ

351w & trmek tko500

gb20

Hey guys. I'm trying to get my thoughts organized on the conversion I want to do but have a few ?'s. I know I want to go with a 351w engine and a Tremec tko 500 transmition. I will be good with carbed for now, eventually upgrading to fuel injection, and wanting 350- 400 horses. What year engine would you fellas recomend, and is there anything special I need to do to get the trans to bolt up to the engine?

Oh, one more thing, I would like to find these 2 things in a salvage/ junk yard to save some money. Should I be able to trust that parts from there will work properly?

Thanks for your time.

gb20

At the HP values you're shooting for, I'd say you should reconsider your choice of motor. The 302 is capable of this power range fairly easily, and streetable, at less weight. The T5 WC will hold up fine behind it, and it too will weigh less than the TKO. If you're planning to drag race this (which I doubt based upon you desire HP numbers), then the T5 may be marginal with hard launches, but in a light car like the Z, who knows (I'm sure someone on the site will chime in on that).

If you decide to do the 351W thing (I've done the 289/302 thing, and have a 351W (393 CID) stroker on the engine stand waiting to replace the 289 this winter), then again, at your desired HP range, any 351W block will work fine, and can be had at many salvage yards. The TKO is a different story. I've never seen or heard of one being found at the salvage yard. Ebay has them from time to time, but again, the World Class T5 is in my humble opinion, a more practical choice for your targeted power. IF you choose to go the TKO route, then you may want to consider going with the 600 instead of the 500. It will allow all the torque you'll ever want to add in the future with only a small amount of money up front.

This is getting beyond my expertese. Google for this information and you'll probably find a Ford forum somewhere that will discuss this. My understanding is that all SBFs (289/302) are pretty much equal (sans the Mexican and 271 HP that had bigger main caps) if you're looking at OEM blocks. The early 351W blocks are supposed to be a little tougher than the later onces (1969 was the cutoff?). Anyway, you'll need to research this information.

I personally wouldn't pull a 302 from anything other than a 87'-92' mustang. Cost wise you shouldn't spend anymore than if it came from any other car, and it comes with pretty decent and tunable EFI, forged pistons, and a great torque curve from factory.

The stock mustang rotating assembly will take more power than the block. The stock block is limited to about 500hp if you're abusing it with nitrous and high revs. With prep work you can go for quite a bit more than 500 though.

Main limitation is heads and cam, and if you upgrade of course upgrade intake and exhaust and retune the ECU to match.

The main downside here if that if you basically plugged all the same mods into a 351W is that the extra displacement will net you more power. And on that note I've personally seen a bored and stroked 351W up to 427 dyno over 1,000HP. The 302 will never do that, but do you need it to?

Thanks for the help dudes. I think I'm going to stick with the 351w engine so I can eventually get it bored out when I just have to have more power, but I will definately do more research on the transmition.

Blueoval,

Are you still going to be able to use the t5 after you install the new engine?

. And on that note I've personally seen a bored and stroked 351W up to 427 dyno over 1,000HP. The 302 will never do that, but do you need it to?

In one of the Mustang mags I bought probably a year ago, there was a 94/95 Stang with a Boss 302 block bored to 306. It was fully streetable and dyno'ed at 1000 or so flywheel horse, it was boosted to heaven, though.

Blueoval,

Are you still going to be able to use the t5 after you install the new engine?

My plan is IF I find a reasonably priced TKO600, I'll go with that. If not, I'll install the G-force T5 upgrade (supposed to be good for 600 lb/ft) in the current case and be good with that. I'm wanting to retain all the mounting and external fitment parts I currently have, and the TKO would require more changes in this realm than modifying the T-5.

In one of the Mustang mags I bought probably a year ago, there was a 94/95 Stang with a Boss 302 block bored to 306. It was fully streetable and dyno'ed at 1000 or so flywheel horse, it was boosted to heaven, though.

I'd be highly skeptical that it was an OEM block. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that most guys at those power levels go with aftermarket/beefed up blocks that are far more dependable than the OEM ones, but they're also significantly heavier unless they're aluminium. They're also expensive, putting them out of most peoples minds as options unless you're going for huge numbers.

the boss 302 block[69-70] had 4 bolt mains andwas stronger throughout. ford has recentlyreleased a new block called the boss 302 it is even sronger but pricey.

as far as stock block 351, i believe the later ones may have been set up for roller lifters ,other than that i would recommend a van eng. i believe they have the right oil pan double sump.

if you want more info ck a mustang sight they have tons of info

• 2 weeks later...