HybridZ

Which springs from MSA?

I put a set of used ST springs on my 240Z street car. The fronts are ok but the rear is very whimpy and like another recent post bottoms out on minor bumps. I ordered a set of Motorsports (no brand name) springs. I compared free length and length under 450 lbs of weightlifting plates they are almost the same or a slightly softer spring than the ST, so I did not install them. Can anybody recommend a good spring for very spirited street use without going to the coilovers? MSA has Eibach and Tokico I could exchange for, but no spring rates are specified. I don't know if they are softer or firmer than what I have.

Guest Anonymous

I don't know what your ride heith is or your ride quality requirements are, but you have several options for spring choice.The cheapest way to go is a pair of used rear 280 springs and cut off half of a coil with a die grinder NOT a torch. If you don't like that idea then consider using performance lowering springs for a 280. The reason I keep refering you to 280 springs is because the 280 is a heavier car providing a greater spring rate.Yes they will bolt right on.

Thanks, I can do that easily and cheap. Are the 2+2 car springs any stiffer? I live in the rural mountains and every day is like a road race. I run the dog dookey out of this car. I cannot however use extremely stiff springs due to rough pavement. I tried that and the car tended to "skip" across some types of bumps. Not a good thing in the curves.

I cannot however use extremely stiff springs due to rough pavement. I tried that and the car tended to "skip" across some types of bumps. Not a good thing in the curves.

Hey

If in doubt gas it...

Just helped my friend put in springs from Arizona Z car (.com) BIG improvement, and bolts right in. Not too stiff either.

Thure

According to MSA: MSA,Tokico, Eibach progressive rates are f/r 129/184,140/165, 68-148/85-302. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't the 240 springs a different length than later 280s? Spring seats year specific? What are the rates for Arizona's springs?..Just looked 180/200 I might have to get a set!Dave@Arizona says not year specific and not intened to lower, but much stiffer than MSA. The rates are hard to find in a replacement spring. I wonder if my KYBs are up to the task of damping 180/200?

John

Yeah, I ordered a set of rears from Arizona Z this week. I'm going to cut until I get it where I want. I'm happy with the ST fronts for now. I'm running KYBs so in about a week I'll let you know if they can tame them. FWIW I made a spring tester out of a metal base with an upright pipe. I slide the spring over the pipe and measure the length then stack 450# of my exercise plates on top of the spring then remeasure the length and calculate the weight per inch. Not perfect, but I can compare springs. My measurement of the MSA rear was 138#, a lot lower than they claim. I sent them back never installed as the ST (old, well used) I was using were about 165# and not stiff enough. Not sure how accurate these numbers are but they are apples to apples measurement for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the Arizona Z rear springs and cut 1-1/3 coils off and the ride height is about 1.5" lower than stock and just the right stiffness for me. However the new KYB gas struts are definitely not up to the task, not enough rebound dampening. I'll have to try something else.

i went through a simular situation on my 280zx i had i found i night and day difference when i jerked out the kybs after a month and put tokico luminas in entirely different car.

btw eibach has a line of springs that arent rely advertised i cant remember the name but i was talking with them a week or two ago and they told me that if id measure the diamter and length then told them the rate i wanted they would have them on a shelf (in this line of springs) and they'd ship them out kinda like the selection if you had 2.5 in coil overs !!

• 1 month later...

Kind of a late reply but here it goes.

I replaced springs and shocks all around my 77z and I like it very much. I used MSA springs along with Tokico high performance shoks and struts.

With the old parts my z was riding low on the back and it bounced forever. Maybe it is because the old parts were so worn out that the new ones seem to me like the best of the best. In any case, for weekend driving it was what I needed

Thanks for the replies. Well on my home made tester the Motorsports springs were softer than the ST which were bottoming out in the back with new KYB shocks. I sent the springs back and bought front and rear sport springs from Arizona Z and cut 1-1/4 coils off. That dropped me about an inch. The KYBs lacked enough rebound to control the AZ springs. I bit the bullet and put in Tokico Illuminas set on #2 front, #3 rear with polyurethane bumpstops. Very firm but not jarring. I am VERY happy now! I can really push it hard on the rough mountain roads. I only changed the back strut spring and shock combinations 10 times before arriving at my final set up, whew.