HybridZ

ITS Z-Car Article from Z-Car Magazine On My Site

I have posted these on my website.

Thanks Katman 2thumbs.gif

ITS Z-Car Roll Cage Article from Z-Car Magazine

Don't expect anything fancy...Too many projects and not enough time.

As soon as I have some pics of my car and stuff I'll post 'em on a more elaborate site.

I kept them small for bandwidth reasons (I think), I can make them bigger, but if you right click and "Save Picture As" you will have it for posterity for viewing on your posteriors anytime from your own machine!.

If I get enough calls for it I can display them large, but it takes longer to get to the page, and if people are just gonna copy them anyway, who cares?

This is my first attempt, so be gentle... rolleyesg.gif

actually, you're not saving bandwidth - they're still loading at full size/resolution. You scaled them down through HTML tags, but the file size remains unchanged when it loads up. resize the pictures through an image editing program, or simply put up links to them.

just save them to your computer and open them in a new browser. as auxilary stated, they are still loaded at fullsize resolution, but the code for that webpage makes them appear smaller on the webpage. if you save them and reopen them in a browser, they will reopen in their actual size.... which is pretty big (~1200x1600 pixels).

Okay guys - I've changed it to full size.

I'll have to start reading about this web site stuff...

Thanks for your patience w/me.

Can anyone recommend a good package/packages for image editing and web site development.

I'm not really into it, and don't want to put a great deal of effort into it.

My only purpose for even putting up this site quickly was to share the knowledge...

That said, I've just bought a digital camera and will taking pics of my project to aid in puttingit back together and hopefully be able to show off some of my work.

I can assure you I am much better w/my hands than with websites... ;)

And, remember, that ITS rules are very restrictive with regards to points of attachment (limited to 6), altho one can circumvent this partially.

The biggest structural problem with the Z is the large, unsupported, engine cavity. ITS rules essentially do not allow any roll cage bracing in this area, unlike E Production which is unlimited.

My favorite article on roll cage design is that used by the early masters: BRE and Sharp (How to Hotrod & Race your Datsun from Steve Smith Autosports books).

I have that How to Hotrod and Race your Datsun book and the cages on the BRE racers where truely extreme!! I agree, they are probably the best you could do with a cage, but IMO they are way too extensive for my street machine. Those suckers have more pipes than the Alaskan pipeline.

The ITS ariticle is extremely good in it's descriptions of the strengths and weaknesses of the Z unibody. Also how they tied the main hoop into the floor and stressing putting cross bracing to support the cage in a T bone is good to keep in mind.

The first thing I thought of when reading the ITS article was the cage needs to be brought forward into the engine compartment. But that is the easy part since you don't have to work around the passengers.

Agreed, on all your points, Jim.

In practice, you can get by with less of those Alaska pipeline members around the front dash area, and those behind the rear shock towers are questionable (i.e., weight gain vs. performance).

Those in the front fender area are trick in that the inner fender hides them from view.

If you have the time/money/desire, additional seam welding of the unibody is quite valuable from a rigidity standpoint.