HybridZ

jtr maunual ?

I bought a v8 parts car a few months ago and it came with a jtr manual 7th edition and i wanted to know if that is the latest edition. Does jtr send out supplements or additions to the original purchasers for updated info to the manual. I am making my own adapters and the specs for the offset plates call for 5/16 steel plate but looking at some of the plates on some members cars they look thicker and possibly out of alum. If there are no such things as updates from jtr does anybody have a list of what people have done as an upgrade or revision to some things in the manual. I am searching for info in the search box but i wanted to finish the 408 pages of this tech board first.

Thanks

greg

Welcome to HybridZ.

As far as I know Mike doesn't send out updates (he probably has a life!). Either way this place is where you get the most up-to-date updates.

I understand the sheer mass of info here is overwhelming. Don't be intimidated. Any updates would need to be tailored to your particular V8Z: engine and tranny choice and what your plans for the car are. Is this a daily driver, weekend warrior, track car, drag car, ect.

Decide, search and read, and then make specific info requests and you'll get good replies.

There are some very intelligent and knowledgeable guys here. They did a lot of hard work to get like that. They are happy to help others who have the same work ethic. I've noticed that they tend to ignore posts that are not well thought out and researched. You will get responses, just not from the "A" list.

Hey welcome to the board.

The aluminum plates you're seeing are probably the spacers which get sandwiched inbetween the engine mount and an unpainted setback plate.

Follow Dans advice from above, gald to see somebody searching, good luck and seach first ask questions later.

I might be living proof of how well the search function works, member since FEB 2000 and just over 500 posts. I've completed 1 V8 conversion 1973 car and am about to rip it apart and start with a bare 1970 shell.

I bought a v8 parts car a few months ago and it came with a jtr manual 7th edition and i wanted to know if that is the latest edition. Does jtr send out supplements or additions to the original purchasers for updated info to the manual. I am making my own adapters and the specs for the offset plates call for 5/16 steel plate but looking at some of the plates on some members cars they look thicker and possibly out of alum. If there are no such things as updates from jtr does anybody have a list of what people have done as an upgrade or revision to some things in the manual. I am searching for info in the search box but i wanted to finish the 408 pages of this tech board first.

Thanks

greg

I bought the setback plates and spacers for JTR last March. They are both aluminum. Too tell you the truth these are so reasonable I don't think its worth making them yourself, just my opinion.

Thanks for the replies, i just like to make things, the metal is free and i have a bunch of tools and a 1800 sq ft shop. Just wondering about the diff thicknessess of the alum vs steel setback plates because the thicker ones would set the engine up higher if the spacers were not compensated for it. Back to the tech board reading page, 103 of 400 something.

Thanks

Greg

FYI - I purchased my JTR manual in 1999 and it is also a 7th edition. I think the more important item is the printing month and year that is on the inside title page. Mine is dated June 1998. I suspect that those who are buying their manual now have a much more recent date. Just my 2 cents.....

Thanks for the replies, i just like to make things, the metal is free and i have a bunch of tools and a 1800 sq ft shop. Just wondering about the diff thicknessess of the alum vs steel setback plates because the thicker ones would set the engine up higher if the spacers were not compensated for it. Back to the tech board reading page, 103 of 400 something.

Thanks

Greg

OK. My manual is Feb 2004. It says the setback plates are 1/2" aluminum and the spacers are Aluminum or steel 1-1/16" for the passenger side and 2-1/16" for the driver's side. The spacer for lowering the crossmember is aluminum or steel and are 3/8".

OK. My manual is Feb 2004. It says the setback plates are 1/2" aluminum and the spacers are Aluminum or steel 1-1/16" for the passenger side and 2-1/16" for the driver's side. The spacer for lowering the crossmember is aluminum or steel and are 3/8".

Thanks for the reply, has anyone had any issues with the original measurements 5/16 setback plates, 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 spacers for motor mount and 1/2 in x member spacers.

Thanks for the help

Greg

I have a '77 280Z with a 350. In my manual it says (and I believe what I purchased and used from JTR in 1999) is 5/16" setback plates, 2 1/2 and 1 1/4 spacers for motor mount and 1/2 x member spacers. So....1 1/4 instead of your 1 1/2. 1 1/4 worked fine, don't know why 1 1/2 would not work either....Greg