HybridZ

17 inch wheels

hey guy i have a question.if you are running your z car with few mods do you think it would be wise to go with a 17 inch rim because there are more to choose from with rim and tire combo but it adds bit of weight,so it would bring your performance down just a bit.so would you notice a big change from running 15's or 16's and go up to 17's thanks.

Of the different sizes I've had on mine, 16 inch wheels were what I considered the best choice provided you've got brakes that will fit under the wheels. This opinion is based upon the use of smaller diameter tires which lower the CG and provide a great final drive ratio. All of this could be overcome with suspension mods, etc, but it was just too easy when I stayed with the 16s.

Im having this same battle in my head right now. Cant decide between 16's or 17's. Tires are certainly cheaper in the 16...

Seems that most people have said 16's are a "good" choice. I have been searching and reading for like 3 weeks now :shock:.

Some guys with some exp (track and/or Zeds), like Jmort, usually jump in on this one. I would think they get tired reposting the same info.

Basically you need to decide what is more important to you. I dont think there is much argument againts a smaller wheel/tire set as far as performance goes. Although I do like how the 17's look on a Z. So I think the 16 is the best way to go if you want a little of both worlds. They look pretty darn cool, and you can still get some tire under the car, and you dont sacrifice as much rotating mass.

Ok, time for someone else to chime in...

i guess that is true when it comes to wheels you would not notice that much of differents.the reason was that boze alloy had some great wheel.17*8 and 17*11 for 1850.00 custom made offset to what ever you want.i just bought works equip 3 wheels 15*8 and 15*10.5,the only problem tires for the 10.5 wheel not to much choice but i went to 17 inch wheel there alot of choices.

You should run the smallest wheel that will cover your brakes, according to the suspension bible. That said, it is pretty hard to find really good tires in 14" sizes now. But there is some selection in 15" and there is a pretty decent selection in 16".

12.2" rotors fit under a 16" so brakes are no excuse to go higher than that - bigger than vented 12.2" rotors on a Z is just showing off. ;)

PS - this question has come up before - search before asking next time.