HybridZ

LS_1 Electric Fan

I sure hope so. "Life" just has a way of rearranging priorities sometimes. Been some really challenging times the last year and a half or so.

I'm back on it, handling the things that I know how to do on the project, and I'll have to hire out the mechanicals due to lack of experience I guess...which is incredibly unfortunate.

Don't want to detract from this thread though.....

Out at the JY today, there were AT LEAST one dozen correct, intact Taurus Fans from the 3.8 V6. As a matter of 'fate', they happened to just be 'putting out' a '93 Lincoln Mark VIII. It had that bitchin' four cammer engine in it. The car was PERFECT, couldn't believe it was in a JY.

Anyway, I jumped on that fan [they are only $15 out the door today]. It IS the elusive 18" unit. If someone will email me, I will take a side-by-side of it and the Taurus fan for everyone's viewing. I am not really interested in trying to learn to post pics right now, as my computer skills are one notch above an Orangutan. So, if one of you other savvy guys wants to post it, great.

Can't really understand the seeming lack of logic in a JY charging a "Core" for an electric fan. They are in business to dispose of parts, so why would they possibly be entitled to a core? It isn't like it is a hazardous waste fee, that I 'might' understand...

Can't really understand the seeming lack of logic in a JY charging a "Core" for an electric fan. They are in business to dispose of parts, so why would they possibly be entitled to a core? It isn't like it is a hazardous waste fee, that I 'might' understand...

There is a good bit of copper in the motors. They might get a few bucks from a metal yard. The pick and pull near me will buy old batteries and alternators too.

I was at the JY again today snatching up as many Volvo Two Speed Fan Relays as I could get my hands on, and I was also rummaging for lots of Bosch Relays.

I came upon a Saab that had a fan relay with a "timer" [so it was written on the relay]. I was trying to pry it out of the terminal and it broke. It got me to thinking about how [especially smaller import] cars have the fans running AFTER the ignition is turned of and you walk away from the car to continue to cool it down.

Do the wiring schematics that have been posted [as stickies & others] take into consideration this type of scenario? I have printed out pretty much all of the relevant plans that should apply to an LS1 here; but, am not clear if they will run as long as it takes to get the coolant temp down regardless of if the ignition is on or not? This is likely a really ignorant question; but, seeing that "Timer Relay" made me feel as though I needed clarification.

Will the LS1 PCM tell the fans to stay on based upon temps even if I do not have the car running [or ON]? Or, is it simply a matter of wiring constant "Hot" feeding the Volvo fan switches?

I was at the JY again today snatching up as many Volvo Two Speed Fan Relays as I could get my hands on, and I was also rummaging for lots of Bosch Relays.

I came upon a Saab that had a fan relay with a "timer" [so it was written on the relay]. I was trying to pry it out of the terminal and it broke. It got me to thinking about how [especially smaller import] cars have the fans running AFTER the ignition is turned of and you walk away from the car to continue to cool it down.

Do the wiring schematics that have been posted [as stickies & others] take into consideration this type of scenario? I have printed out pretty much all of the relevant plans that should apply to an LS1 here; but, am not clear if they will run as long as it takes to get the coolant temp down regardless of if the ignition is on or not? This is likely a really ignorant question; but, seeing that "Timer Relay" made me feel as though I needed clarification.

Will the LS1 PCM tell the fans to stay on based upon temps even if I do not have the car running [or ON]? Or, is it simply a matter of wiring constant "Hot" feeding the Volvo fan switches?

Stan I had some problems with the Volvo relay sticking. They are not rated for the Taurus fan. You might want to run a 50amp relay, that is what I use now. Call JTR they have the 50 amp relays in stock.

Mike

Would it need a 50A SPDT or 50A DPDT Relay? I'll order it from Waytek Wire. JTR hasn't responded to ONE of the five emails that I have sent in the last month or so, so I'll spend elsewhere.

The PCM is what switches it, right?

**Actually, I think that my question is answered in Cozy Z Cole's sticky on post #37 I'm going to continue to re-read all of the posts. It's just that many here use a manual switch, and I want it all automated so I don't have to worry about accidentally leving it 'on' or 'off'.

Would it need a 50A SPDT or 50A DPDT Relay? I'll order it from Waytek Wire. JTR hasn't responded to ONE of the five emails that I have sent in the last month or so, so I'll spend elsewhere.

The PCM is what switches it, right?

**Actually, I think that my question is answered in Cozy Z Cole's sticky on post #37 I'm going to continue to re-read all of the posts. It's just that many here use a manual switch, and I want it all automated so I don't have to worry about accidentally leving it 'on' or 'off'.

You will have a low and hi fan wire in your engine harness. They should be labled for you. They will supply a ground to switch the relay. You will need to have the ecu flashed to a lower turn on temp for the fans. You could just use one relay and hook it up to the high speed on the fan. This will keep everything semple in your engine bay.

Put your motor in, I want to hear it run.

Mike

• 3 months later...

FWIW - My LS1 set-up has been running the stock '98 Camaro Z28 fans & shroud since it was first done 4 years and nearly 28,000 miles ago. It fits my 4-row 280Z radiator like it was made for it. I have NEVER had overheating problems with it. I even had a relay fail in 100° Texas weather and it still held on one fan with the AC running full bore. That's a nice feature about two fans - there's still cooling if one fails.

Lot's of choices out there but sticking with a unit compatible with the OEM harness has made mine basically bulletproof reliable.