HybridZ

Bump-steer? Need some learning

I think you could probably space the safety washers away from the ball by putting some small spacers between the washers and the ball. Maybe use a lockwasher or a small section of the same tubing that you are using for the bumpsteer adjustment, for instance. That way you should be able to retain the travel in the rod end.

A safety washer is built this way. http://www.spidertrax.com/fabrication_msw.htm

With these you can use a normal rod end.

Cary

Regarding what Tim said about drilling out the tapper for fitting ball ends. I believe that either "AFCO" or "The Chassis Shop" sell an adaptor with the tapper on one end and a 5/8" threaded end on the other....specifically for changing from standard ball joints to rod end bearings. Another interesting item they have are seals (sealsit) that cover each side of the rod end bearings to keep out the crud and provide extended life to the bearings....nice little item, especially for the street car!

Thanks for the explanation of the safety washer Cary. I thought they would reduce the articulation, but it looks like they increase it.

I had talked to Dr. Sideways (don't know his real name) about this a while back and he had turned down some little tapered cone pieces in a lathe to fit right into the steer knuckle, and just run the size rod end that fits the steer knuckle which I think is 10 or 12mm. That seems like an awfully small rod end to me, so I was just going to drill it out instead and use the 5/8". Now I'm thinking that that awfully small rod end is basically what is in there now with the stock tie rod. I guess the hassle there would be making the turnbuckle since it would require a LH and RH 12mm (or whatever) tap. Although now that I think about it I guess the inners are RH and LH, so even if I went with my original idea I'd still need the taps... hmmm.....