HybridZ

Passenger side window on race car?

JMortensen

I'm working on the doors for my car which is of course going to be race only. I just gutted the passenger side door and now I'm thinking that in terms of aero, wouldn't it be better to have a window on that side rather than having the window missing or open? My thought is that I could install the window track from my old door and cut a Lexan window then screw it into the frame. The other alternative is to leave the door empty and not have the weight of the frame and the Lexan up top, although the weight would probably only be 3-4 lbs I'm guessing.

This is slightly confused by my choice for sideview mirrors. I had been thinking of doing some clamp on convex round mirrors that attach to the roll cage. If I did install a window on the passengers side I don't know that the cage mirror would still work.

I have some old mirrors that I could reuse from the old doors as well, but I kind of liked the cage mirrors because they don't stick out, and my old mirrors used to fall down when the heat got over about 100 degrees which was very annoying when I lived in SoCal.

Anyone have an opinion on what I should do?

...now I'm thinking that in terms of aero, wouldn't it be better to have a window on that side rather than having the window missing or open?

Yes. No doubt.

My thought is that I could install the window track from my old door and cut a Lexan window then screw it into the frame. The other alternative is to leave the door empty and not have the weight of the frame and the Lexan up top, although the weight would probably only be 3-4 lbs I'm guessing.

The weight of the lexan would surely by sfa. It wouldn't have to be very thick given its slight convex shape (increased strength). I assume that you cut the upper window track out for some reason? If it were me I'd be installing a tight plastic u channel in some places (top of window and a-pillar) and working out a way of keeping the lexan up in place.

Are there safety concerns with not being able to open the passenger window?

This is slightly confused by my choice for sideview mirrors. I had been thinking of doing some clamp on convex round mirrors that attach to the roll cage. If I did install a window on the passengers side I don't know that the cage mirror would still work.

I have some old mirrors that I could reuse from the old doors as well, but I kind of liked the cage mirrors because they don't stick out, and my old mirrors used to fall down when the heat got over about 100 degrees which was very annoying when I lived in SoCal.

Anyone have an opinion on what I should do?

Do you need side view mirrors? I've never used one, but I've seen people in race cars have a full length mirror running at the top of the windscreen inside the cabin.

Good luck,

Dave

The weight of the lexan would surely by sfa. It wouldn't have to be very thick given its slight convex shape (increased strength). I assume that you cut the upper window track out for some reason? If it were me I'd be installing a tight plastic u channel in some places (top of window and a-pillar) and working out a way of keeping the lexan up in place.

I just unbolted the track and pulled it out of the door. If I were to do the side window, I'd just bolt the frame back in, slide the window in and screw it in place. I'd use .125" Lexan.

Are there safety concerns with not being able to open the passenger window?

I can't get out the passenger's side anyway, so I don't think so. There would be concerns about glass breaking if I were door to door racing, but I'm not. Passenger windows are an issue at an autox, and the rule at the track days I've done was always "roll it up or roll it down, but make it one or the other and not halfway".

Do you need side view mirrors? I've never used one, but I've seen people in race cars have a full length mirror running at the top of the windscreen inside the cabin.

That's a Wink mirror. I had a five panel Wink for about a week and couldn't stand it. It was too wide, so it had to be mounted pretty close to where the sun visors mount. It felt unnaturally close to my head in that position. They do have a 3 panel Wink that could be mounted farther away, but I was figuring on a more normal style mirror with a convex lens to get the wide angle. I suppose you could make an argument that the side view mirrors aren't needed, never really thought about eliminating them. I think I'd like to keep them if possible.

Jon:

I think there is no doubt that it would be better areodynamically to have a lexan window in there instead of nothing at all. I think a mirror mounted inside (out of the air flow) would also be better. I seem to recall a study being done by the state troopers in my state that found they used less gas running the A/C with the windows up then not running it with the windows down.

Only thing I'm wondering is would the speeds you obtain in an autoX be high enough (for long enough) to make a difference?

Passenger windows are an issue at an autox, and the rule at the track days I've done was always "roll it up or roll it down, but make it one or the other and not halfway".

That may have been true a while ago, but I've run with NASA HPDE and Speedventures this year they require the window down before they will let you out of pit lane. Better go to their web sites and check or give them a call.

EDIT: Just checked the NASA GCR. Section 6.2 "Preparation for on-course driving" 1. Both side windows must be open. SCCA GCR Section 17.20 - All closed top cars will run with both front door windows fully open.

That may have been true a while ago, but I've run with NASA HPDE and Speedventures this year they require the window down before they will let you out of pit lane. Better go to their web sites and check or give them a call.

EDIT: Just checked the NASA GCR. Section 6.2 "Preparation for on-course driving" 1. Both side windows must be open. SCCA GCR Section 17.20 - All closed top cars will run with both front door windows fully open.

Well that pretty much decides that issue. Might still bolt a window in for autox. I'll have to see how spunky I feel when the rest of the car is all done. Thanks John.

I have bar mounted mirrors. I like them more than door mounted ones. Unless something has changed, for Nasa you just need a driver side net and a side restraint net. Not a passenger window net.

I wouldn't bother with a window for autoX.