HybridZ

Wheel spacers for caliper clearance

I just did the vented Toyota 4x4 swap and it appears that I need some ~.25" thick spacers. These would be okay, but since they are not hubcentric or designed for the 4x114.3 bolt pattern I'm worried about vibration:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=GOR%2DSP601&view=1&N=700+4294847663+4294906461+400092+4294906458

Also, do I need longer studs for to run these?

the spacer you want to buy is not the rite size for the vented setup you have. plus they probabley would vibrate. there is no generic spacer mass produced for your kit but you could buy one from silverminemotors.com. you also do need longer bolts to hold the rotor and spacer on to the hub. you can buy those at any hardware store.

the spacer you want to buy is not the rite size for the vented setup you have. plus they probabley would vibrate. there is no generic spacer mass produced for your kit but you could buy one from silverminemotors.com. you also do need longer bolts to hold the rotor and spacer on to the hub. you can buy those at any hardware store.

Nope, 1/4" thick is definately sufficient. I tested this with washers.

I have S12+8 calipers and I shaved the vertical ridge off of the caliper face so a 1/4" spacer is all I need to keep my snowflakes from hitting the caliper.

I need wheel spacers, not hub spacers. I already have hub spacers from Modern Motorsports.

Nope, 1/4" thick is definately sufficient. I tested this with washers.

I have S12+8 calipers and I shaved the vertical ridge off of the caliper face so a 1/4" spacer is all I need to keep my snowflakes from hitting the caliper.

I need wheel spacers, not hub spacers. I already have hub spacers from Modern Motorsports.

When I first read your post I also thought you meant hub spacers... Any way since that is not the case I don't see why those would not work. As far as the length of the wheel studs I would suggest that you put a wheel on with the washers you used for testing then using standard open ended wheel nuts tighten the wheel down, if you have less than 3 threads showing past the top of the nut your studs are to short, if you have 3 or more threads showing your good to go.

Dragonfly

The center pilot hole in a set of spacers like that is just barely too small for the Z hub (like .010" too small or thereabouts). I had a set of those and fought a wheel balance issue for a LONG time, took the car to a couple different wheel/tire shops, nobody could figure it out. Finally I was changing the wheels at an autox and noticed that the spacer was starting to crack, and that finally gave me the hint I needed. Changed to different spacers and that was the end of the wheel balance issue.

I would suggest you buy lug-centric spacers from someone on ebay that are made for a Datsun. Coleman racing also has a good lug-centric spacer, but their pilot hole is way too small for a Z hub. I bought some and had the center hole turned to make it larger, but that was a more expensive solution than the ones you find on ebay these days.

One more thing, run longer studs if you're going to do any spacers. The stock studs are just too short for a spacer.

The quick and easy solution is to go to the auto parts store and get gen II RX7 studs. They're 12mm x 1.5 so you'll need lug nuts too, but they're about 1 inch longer than stock, the knurl diameter is compatible so you don't have to redrill the hubs and they're readily available.

There are definately no spacers like that on eBay unless you're talking about adapters which would be way too thick. I'm definately not going for this look:

bmw_isetta.jpg

I need to use Nissan lugnuts with my snowflakes because the shank diameter on aftermarket lugnuts is incorrect and will cause wheel damage and/or vibration. So, RX-7 studs are out of the question.

I wanted to use the rear studs (which are longer) in the front, but the knurl diameter is smaller in the back than in the front.:banghead:

I need to use Nissan lugnuts with my snowflakes because the shank diameter on aftermarket lugnuts is incorrect and will cause wheel damage and/or vibration. So, RX-7 studs are out of the question.

I have a solution for that one. Get some Toyota 4-Runner lug nuts. They're 12mm x 1.5 and they have the correct shank size for the Nissan factory wheels. I got mine from a tire shop. I cut the ends of the lug nuts off so the stud could poke through, but the later realized that they would have worked without cutting them. Oops...

As far as the ebay thing, there was a guy who had spacers on there all the time and he had .5 inch and 1 inch spacers as I recall. Someone posted here a few years back that he was just a machinist working out of his house and he could make you basically whatever you needed. Maybe he's not on ebay anymore, but it wouldn't hurt to ask around. Also, you might want to consider a thicker spacer anyway, as your car will most likely handle better with a wider track in the front...

I think I might have my machinist just make me some lugcentric spacers out of steel.

He could maybe even use some discs from a Z31 as a template.

The rear lugs do feel fairly tight in the hub, albeit not as much as the fronts. I heard about someone using the rear lugs in the front before, so I might just take my chances and do that.

I don't want to blow a ton of money on just spacing my wheels out 1/4" I'd rather put money into important things.

Where's the money? The studs are like $3/ea and I paid a buck a lug nut at the tire shop for the 4 Runner lug nuts. I thought I had found the cheap alternative to ARP studs or something like that.

The spacers are the pricey part, and you're not going to get around that. You could turn the hole in the cheapo spacers that you originally linked to, or you could buy the ones from Coleman and have the pilot hole machined. I think having them machined from steel would be more expensive than either of those options, unless you're in good with the machinist.

I don't want to have different lugnuts front and rear.

I did some searching and lugnuts from a Nissan van may work:

Specifications:

• Head Code: 403
  • Knurl Diameter: 12.90mm
  • Thread Pitch: Right
  • Shoulder Length: 15mm
  • Thread Size: M12-1.25
  • Length: 45.5mm
  • Type: Serrated Stud
  • Features: Zinc plated for corrosion resistance

610-403-b.jpg

Stock:

Specifications:

• Head Code: 240
  • Knurl Diameter: 13.00mm
  • Thread Pitch: Right
  • Shoulder Length: 10mm
  • Thread Size: M12-1.25
  • Length: 32mm
  • Type: Serrated Stud
  • Features: Zinc plated for corrosion resistance

610-240-b.jpg

If you do a search for Nissan Quest front studs they are longer and will work with the toyota calipers and the Snowflake rims, using the stock snowflake lug nuts. I know because I had that setup before I went to Wilwood brakes. I also had to use a 1/2 spacer to make the rims work.

HB280ZT

• 4 weeks later...

As stated above many times, get aluminum lug centric spacers that fit a 4 x 4.5" (114.3mm) bolt pattern. If the center bore is too small, take it to any small machine shop and they can open up the bore.

You will be lucky to find Datsun specific spacers that fit the various 240Z center bore sizes. And a wider track in front makes a better handling 240Z, so that BMW MicroCar look is that you're after.

The 240SX spacers are $70 for 5mm and $100 for 10 mm. I only need 7 mm. That seems like a ripoff considering I'll just throw out the studs, they're not the right thickness, and they may require machining.

I think I'll try the $7 universal kind and if I have a problem, I'll have my machinist make a custom pair.

I'm just wondering which of those universal spacers will fit with no machining.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some spacers like you show from the Summit site hanging around the garage. When I went to mount the wheel & tire combo that came with the car it wouldn't fit, wrong offset (prior owner screwed up). I dropped the front tire size from 215 60/15 to 105 60/15 and used the spacers.

I ended up using 8 of the old Nismo studs (also hanging around) and riveted two of the .25" spacers together for each side. I needed 1/2 inch for clearance. the spacer centered on the Hub perfectly (universal four lug 1/4" spacer)(Mr. Gasket, I think) and the rivets held the second to the first. Without the riveting there was nothing to center the second 1/4" spacer. It has worked fine for in excess of three years on the street. This car has not been auto-crossed or hot lapped to date. I am still working out support issues. Installation of the Bad Dog frame supports, etc.