HybridZ

Nut inserts are the poop

stony

Found them in a hardware store today,

I'm sure you guys know what they are, if not.... you basically drill a hole for the insert. Use a ratchet and wrench and pull the insert into the hole, kind of like a rivit. So if you are ever trying to figure out how to mount something in a hard to reach or impossible to reach area check them out they work great.

I used them today for mounting my tranny mount and loop into the frame rails.

Stony, just to make sure I'm hearing you right, you used nutserts to mount your trans mount and driveshaft loop? Nutserts are good for some stuff, but in my opinion, the 2 items above are not them! I deal with them on a regular basis on large trucks (kenworth, pete, mack trucks, etc.). In a high stress area like your trans. mount, I think you'll end up seeing a failure at some point. As for the driveshaft loop, it's there to save your life. Maybe I overbuilt mine but I used rather large bolts and nuts on going through the floor with some added sheetmetal on the inside. In my opinion, they're great for mounting things like methanol tanks, fuel pumps, and misc other objects, but anything under high stress, I would think twice about.

Have to agree with James on this one...(not uncommon :) ) They're great for mounting Adrian Steel cabinets in service vans and the like, but that's about as much stress as I'd personally trust them with.

Although you're able to tighten up bolts going through them, the sheet metal that they're attached to will be the weak link now. Backing plates on those two items in particular would be adviseable, hence, ruling out the use of the nutserts.

(Don't ya just hate when somebody rains on your parade?) Just looking out for ya in the long run.

Warren

The inserts i used were steel. I also questioned the strength and was assured that they would be as good as anything short of putting a bolt all the way thru the frame rail (see space limitation comment above)

As far as the tranny mount goes.... my motor is mounted with a mid plate and the rear tranny mount wont really be holding alot of weight. the inserts are installed in approx 1/8 wall square frame rails. They should be just as good as say bolting them thru the sheetmetal of a stock bodied car. thanks for the heads up. I will keep my eye one them.

Nutserts, if installed properly (full 360 degre swag), are as strong as the base material. It important to size the installation hole correctly based on the Nutsert OD and the material thickness. Aircraft Spruce has a page that discusses this for A/T style Nutserts.

http://aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/nutserts.php

BTW those are the badboys i used that are referenced above.

you can do them by hand with a big ratchet and wrench just takes a bit longer.

There was never really a doubt of the strength of the nutsert itself, and now that you've said the frame rails are 1/8" wall tube steel, that makes a BIG difference. I doubt I'd trust sheetmetal alone to hold a tranny rear, even with a midplate, but that's just me erring on the side of caution.

Warren

• 2 weeks later...
The inserts i used were steel. I also questioned the strength and was assured that they would be as good as anything short of putting a bolt all the way thru the frame rail (see space limitation comment above)

As far as the tranny mount goes.... my motor is mounted with a mid plate and the rear tranny mount wont really be holding alot of weight. the inserts are installed in approx 1/8 wall square frame rails. They should be just as good as say bolting them thru the sheetmetal of a stock bodied car. thanks for the heads up. I will keep my eye one them.

I know in road tractors(I'm going to school for diesel tech.) alot of trucks don't use a trans mount at all. The only thing that holds the trans up is where its bolted to the motor, and the motor mounts hold that in place. And thats also where the motor and trans can easily wiegh more then our cars. If you got motor mounts, and a mid mount, then I think that rear tranny mount might be good to go.

I base this on the fact that I've never heard of or used nutserts, but if I understand right, you should probably be alright, but I'm not sure.