HybridZ

camber plates for front? or rear? what should I do?

ok,my car is an s30

so I got sectioned rear struts w/ home made lower perches, 10" coilovers and a modified OEM top hat and tokico hp inserts. Prolly going to get Koni's

Up front I have non sectioned tubes, home made lower perches, 10" coilovers and a modded top hat w/ Koni "special D" inserts, adjustable LCA's and TC rods.

My car sits slightly lower in the rear. I like it that way. and has alot of neg camber. not sure how much

Tires are 225/50/15 on 10" wheels w/ 5" backspacing. The car handles great! but I noticed that I am scrubbing off the rear tires quite a bit. especially the outside edge.

The other day I got a pair of Carrera camder plates made for the s30.

My question is.

Should I use the camber plates on the front or rear?

What do you guys think?

thanks

tc

well I'm only limited because I got them at such a good deal that I couldn't pass them up.

Another set will more expensive than I can afford rite now.

So since it will be a while and I can adjust the front already I was thinking of using them on the rear.

However I can be swayed either way based on what you guys think.

thanks

tc

well I'm only limited because I got them at such a good deal that I couldn't pass them up.

Another set will more expensive than I can afford rite now.

So since it will be a while and I can adjust the front already I was thinking of using them on the rear.

However I can be swayed either way based on what you guys think.

In general Z's have much more neg camber in the rear than in the front when they're lowered. I think John is telling you to put them up front because that would enable you to get more neg camber in the front, which would at least get it balanced somewhat front to rear. You're saying that you are wearing the OUTSIDE of the tire, which tends to indicate that you do not have enough neg camber. Given this, I would expect to find that the fronts are REALLY worn on the outside, since the front usually has about 2 degrees less camber than the back when the car is just lowered without any other adjustments available.

I think part of your problem is your stretched tires, and that if the sidewall could do its thing you'd get better tire wear. For a 10" rim I'd be using a 255 (basically the tread width should be roughly equal to the rim width). I'd put 225's on an 8.

Ok.I forgot to mention that I am using MSA sway bars and bump steer spacers too.

So you guys are saying to keep the rear alone and put the plates up front to get the neg camber closer to the rear.?

the front tires are wearing even now.

I think just by looking at it that the rear tires are toed in a bit. That's prolly the wear problem.

I guess the next step is adjustable LCA's for the rear?

Rear camber bushings can be used to fix that toe issue too, if that is the problem. They're a lot cheaper than control arms.

You can check your toe really easy with a tape measure. It has to be pretty far out of whack to cause a wear problem. Just measure as far up the tire as you can without bending the tape measure on the front and back of the tire. Hook into the same tread on front and back and measure to that tread block on the other side of the car. If your toe in isn't more than about 3/8" different I doubt that the toe is the cause of the wear.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks ozzinc

I know they sit on top and I will have to remove some material. no biggie.

just looks like they will fit better the other way and give more adjustment.

The way they are on the Sharp car has got to be rite. But, they hang way over the strut tower and are at the limit when installed and have no more neg camber adjustment than without them. All kinds of pos adjustment tho.

But that's not what I need.

If I install them like my top pic. I will have all kinds of adjustment either way. Only, the more neg I go they will move the strut top foreward too.

Plus they fit the tops of the housings WAY better that way. the angle of the plates is exactly the angle of the fenders and none of it sticks out like the Sharp way.

Dang I am confused. I was expecting them to install like the Sharp car but they still look wrong, and don't give any neg adjustment. Also if you adjusted them all the way positive. The plates would hit the fender b4 all the adjustment was used.

The other way they fit perfect, look rite and give all the adjustment either way without interferance.

Also look at the instalation page. No mater how you turn it. The front is never like the pic. The bolts are in different places.

I don't know what to do

I haven't seen those plates on a Z in years, but I remember them being installed like the Sharp car has them. Doing it the other way would give you caster adjustment, not camber.

You could also redrill the holes in the strut top to clock the plate the way you want it. Might be able flip it around 180 from the way Sharp's car had it...

Generally an S30 needs less camber in the back than the front, and generally we can never get enough camber in the front, which is proly where JohnC was going. Why don't you have your current cambers and toe's checked and let us know so we can make further suggestions. Previous poster was right, toe can tear up a tire as easily as camber. You could be limited in your inboard movement by the upper spring perch, assuming your coilovers are 2.5 ID and the spring is bigger in OD than the spring perch?

if I use the oe holes and turn the plate the way I want to . I will get negative camber and positive caster at the same time.

Isn't that what I want.?

By leaning the top of the strut "back" and "in" at the same time. Creating neg. camber and positive caster.

Tony, if you install them at an angle then you might not be able to square up the car. Pretty common for one side to have a different camber measurement than the other. If one plate needs to be moved farther than you're also throwing off the caster. I'd adjust caster with an adjustable TC rod and stick to adjusting camber with the plate.