HybridZ

Help with air dam discision?

jeffer949

ok for christmas my friends got together and ordered me a xenon urethan air dam off of ebay. the only problem is they ordered the one for the late260/280z and i have an early Z. my question is... should i just stick with this air dam and rig up some custom turn signals/running lights. maybe with something like this. that have the "city lights" in them and then use those for my turn signals..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/75-82-DATSUN-240-260-280Z-DIAMOND-CUT-HEADLIGHTS-H4-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ020QQitemZ300187011448QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

or should i hassle with returning the air damn and getting the early one that is actually for my year which is an early 260z

the one i need

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon-Body-Kit-240Z-260Z-280Z-Front-Air-Dam-Brake-Ducts_W0QQitemZ150144559276QQihZ005QQcategoryZ38658QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

he one im getting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon-Body-Kit-240Z-260Z-280Z-Front-Air-Dam-Brake-Ducts_W0QQitemZ150144558137QQihZ005QQcategoryZ38658QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

Coming from someone who usually just settles for what I get, I can tell you it would be worth calling the company you got it from to work out an exchange.

Even if you have to pay for shipping to return it you will be happier with the part you really want.

Too bad it only took me 20 years to realize to ask for what I want. Doing things the right way sure does feel a lot better in the end.

Tom

Jeff:

Got your PM. I've been really pleased with the headlights that I'm running. The turn/park lights are definitely bright enough to be seen easily and the headlights themselves are great. The only downside is cost.

The only thing that was required was a little trimming of the headlight mount bucket (the actual metal bucket that the headlight mounts in, not the sugar scoop) for the parking light. Other than that, they bolted right up.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'd be glad to help with any info that I have.

Bryan

Dat240zg

I got the lights through Autoloc (http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/details.lasso?itemid=hl1t). According to the packaging they are DOT approved and yes are H4 bulbs.

The only mod that I did was to take the headlight housing apart, clean and sandblast them, trim the inner bowl/ring to allow for the turn signal socket and then spray painted them a rustoleum black.

In all seriousness, the actual modifications took all of 10 minutes, cleaning/sandblasting/painting took an hour.

Let me know if there is any other info that I can help you with.

Bryan

Thanks for the info!

I really like your style of air dam with the integrated bumper, even if it is just for show. Can you explain or post a photo on the modified bucket,

after you trimmed the hole for the turn signal socket is the headlight bucket still sealed? I am concerned about water off the front tires if ever caught out in the rain.

Dave

i think im going to see how hard it would be to return it. but i also think im going to install the lights too at a later date. i did find them for a good price on ebay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-AUTOLOC-TRI-BAR-STREET-ROD-HEADLIGHTS-w-TURN-SIGNAL_W0QQitemZ310011941765QQihZ021QQcategoryZ33710QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dave:

Honestly, without taking the entire headlight assembly apart, I wouldnt be able to take a shot of it. The part that is modified is inside the "outer" assembly, which is what you see when you look at the inside of the fender. That part isn't modded. When you remove the retaining ring to change your headlight lense, you'll see that there is a larger ring (almost looks like another bucket) that the lense sits in that is used to aim the light. This is the part that I modified.

Also, the small cut didn't weaken the piece and I didn't give up any ability to aim the headlight as well.

HTH.

Bryan

Bryan, thanks for all the info I think Im going to go this route.

I forgot about the inner ring the headlight fits into.

Sorry Jaffer for hijacking your thread, you should be able to contact the vendor and exchange the air damn you received for the one you want, let us know how it turns out.

Dave

Wow, I bought bumper number 1, and I should have gotten bumper number 2. I bought from that seller too off ebay. Luckily it didnt ship or anything yet, I had to shoot them an email just now to see if they can swap it over to the correct one. Thank god I looked at this post! Phew