HybridZ

The Difference a Tune Makes

My Z has a pretty much stock 2002 LS1 in it. A friend of mine (Chris) here locally does tuning, but he didn't have a dyno of his own to use. Well, he bought one and opened his own business so I took the yellow Z over for a test and tune. The initial air/fuel ratio was horrible (between 10.6 and 11.3, optimum being closer to 14.6). Chris went over the tables and made a few changes with the increases shown in the chart. Peak torque was up but the real difference was the 300 ft-lb from 1800 RPM to 5800 RPM. Peak HP wasn't too much different, but the 15-25 HP increase from 2000 RPM to 5600 PRM is noticeable. The area under the curve is what matters.

Torque is acceleration, Horsepower is speed. Now I need more of both.....

LS1 Dyno Tune_thumb.jpg

HPIM1589_thumb.JPG

My Z has a pretty much stock 2002 LS1 in it. A friend of mine (Chris) here locally does tuning, but he didn't have a dyno of his own to use. Well, he bought one and opened his own business so I took the yellow Z over for a test and tune. The initial air/fuel ratio was horrible (between 10.6 and 11.3, optimum being closer to 14.6). Chris went over the tables and made a few changes with the increases shown in the chart. Peak torque was up but the real difference was the 300 ft-lb from 1800 RPM to 5800 RPM. Peak HP wasn't too much different, but the 15-25 HP increase from 2000 RPM to 5600 PRM is noticeable. The area under the curve is what matters.

Torque is acceleration, Horsepower is speed. Now I need more of both.....

On ls2's and ls1's I usually tune for 13:1 at full throttle. 14.6 is great for cruising but for full load it needs to be richer. Looks good though. You might also try adding some more timing after torque peak to help your top-end alittle. That is along as you don't have any Knock Retard. Nice numbers!

On ls2's and ls1's I usually tune for 13:1 at full throttle. 14.6 is great for cruising but for full load it needs to be richer. Looks good though. You might also try adding some more timing after torque peak to help your top-end alittle. That is along as you don't have any Knock Retard. Nice numbers!

I agree, 13.1 is the best place to be at when you are WOT. Maybe have him take another look at it.

I agree, 13.1 is the best place to be at when you are WOT. Maybe have him take another look at it.

Sorry about my brief post earlier, I was in a rush lol. But yea I have a 2000 ws6 with a 6.0 and 228/228 .573/.578 112 cam, longtube headers ls6 intake. But anyways point being I know exactly what you mean by how much a tune helps. Mine wasn't so much in the power but the driveability! Yes I picked up good power but how smooth my car drives now from before is just incredible.

Someone else mentioned timing and I wanted to say that I have total timing set at 28 degrees and it comes full in at 2800 rpms, where I believe stock is at 4800 or somewhere around there?!? And my ohh my how that helped out.

Good luck bud and I hope you enjoy the car.

Thumper - I agree, 14-15 is best economy (who needs that!). The tabulated air/fuel is between 12.9 and 13.2 for the enitre RPM range with the tune shown, great for the WOT fun.

68birdls1 - You are so very right. The driveability was so much improved with the tune. It feels smoother and comes out of the corners oh so much better.

As soon as I get finished with a couple of car shows this winter/spring, I'll go back to the dyno. We saved a tune on speed-density instead of MAF. I'll try that and see what kind of difference that change makes. Then cold air intake, mess with the timing and see where all this leads.