HybridZ

Forza Motorsport 2 versus Project Gotham 4

proxlamus©

Well.. first off I am an avid racing simulator addict and ive been playing for years and years...

Favorite simulator to date is still Forza and TOCA Race Driver

however.. I recently bought an XBOX 360 and purchased both Forza Motorsport 2 and Project Gotham 4..

Forza 2 is amazing.. PGR 4 is amazing but I noticed one thing about Forza..

Forza is "too" realistic.. from my experience on the track then on the video game the physics are a bit exaggerated and dramatic understeer and oversteer are everywhere

PGR4 has incredible graphics, terrain and weather variations and a real life sensation of driving.. but the physics are toned down too far, I can whip around a corner going 140mph and im not over or understeering.. too arcadish.

One example is with the Maserati MC12 in Forza 2 I can do a full lap of the Nurburgring Nordschleife in about 6:30. Now the same track and the same car in PGR 4 I can do about a 5:40... BIG difference in times..

What are your guys opinions on the games?!

I am a Forza (original) addict, so I'm a little biased.

-I'll agree that all of the PGR series is too arcadish, so that knocks it out for me aside from occasional multiplay. I've started the campaigns on several of them, and never finished.

-Although Forza 2 does seem to overdo the physics, I still like it as a simulator. All out fun, never boring!

My fav is the GTR class Ferrari Maranello on the full Nurburgring ring, yum!

I actually prefer Gran Turismo 3 to Gran Turismo 4 as a gaming experience as far as PS2 games are concerned. In 4, there are too many factors that you have to change to make the cars handle the way they did right out of the box in GT3. Also, the biggest kick for me in racing sims is actually collecting the different cars. In GT3 there is a turntable system for winning events that randomizes the car you get when you finish a series, whereas in 4 you get the same car every time. So if you and I both win the All Japan GT in 3, maybe you get the Mitsubishi FTO racecar and I get the Mazda RX7 Bathurst edition. But in GT4, we both get the NSX Type-R (or whatever it is) every time. Also in GT4 there are at least two cars you can never drive ever, in any mode, as well as total BS-mobiles like the Model T that you can only drive on the test track. Why would you do that Polyphony Digital? Why waste my time with that garbage? There was a feature in Gran Turismo 1 that took the weight reduction one step further and let you apply "racing mods", which was a permanent mod and added graphics and took a bit more weight off the car. That was so much fun to me, i don't know why...and we haven't seen it in full form ever since. There was going to be a drag racing mode in GT2 that featured that, but they only put the racing mods in for two cars....

As far as the original topic, the most fun i had in a PGR game was walking through the different showrooms picking out the different cars...I don't like that if you need to go faster, you need to buy a new, faster car, but it was neat that you could buy exotics which were notably absent from the Gran Turismo series. I love me some Forza 2 though, it's got a decent car list, the damage is good, and i like that increasing the difficulty results in a higher reward at the end of the race. The car decal feature is ok, but not nearly as good as the pixel by pixel paint program that was in Tokyo Extreme Racer 3 for the PS2. That game even let you make primer! with primer flames no less! And it featured a Pantera! A PANTERA!!!! Why is there a DeLorean and a Model T in GT4 but no Pantera?!

I'm digging Forza2 so far, havn't played a ton, I think I'm to level 13 or something? I love the car selection, ability tune and actually swap motors, as well as the paint and stuff.

At times the physics are off but for the most part, it feels like I'm driving a car and I think they did a pretty good job.

Having said that....Has anyone played the demo for the new Burnout Paradise? Satifies a different part of the brain :)

BTW I love all the Gran Truismo games for the PS 1 & 2. AND I really love how close the track renderings are from console to console. ALL those hours spend on GTurismo were not in vein when playing forza!