HybridZ

Need a source for a Fairlady dash cap

zaddict

• 1 year later...
I could use one too (260/280) style, I have seen them on Yahoo Japan, but shipping is high.

Hey ArnZ-

I have a suggestion for the dash that might work for you. I didn't like the look of a cap, so I decided to try to refinish mine. I had big cracks in it which I sanded down with a block and filled with bondo, after that I sprayed it with sealer primer and then had it Rhino lined.

Cost a total of 50 bucks. Putting the gages back in was difficult, I had to trim the inside of the holes out to get them back in. Check out the photos on my car domain site ( 2nd page ) and let me know what you think.

Hey ArnZ-

I have a suggestion for the dash that might work for you. I didn't like the look of a cap, so I decided to try to refinish mine. I had big cracks in it which I sanded down with a block and filled with bondo, after that I sprayed it with sealer primer and then had it Rhino lined.

Cost a total of 50 bucks. Putting the gages back in was difficult, I had to trim the inside of the holes out to get them back in. Check out the photos on my car domain site ( 2nd page ) and let me know what you think.

That actually looks pretty good. Almost looks like "Fleckstone" texture.

found a guy in WA that can do it! hes going to get back to me monday on the price but he says there not that bad. . . deff not like the $2100 some other guys want to charge.

PalmettoZ:

Nice, but my problem is my car is so origional that im affraid that your way would depreshiate the value, maybe..... Im in such good condition that im sceptical. . . that and i do show mine every once and a while. . . but still very nice job!!!

The full dash caps were selling in Japan at one time for 30,000 yen, or about $300---2X what they were here.

Ironic, but they were blown here in the USA by the same people who do the LHD Dash Caps, but had an EXCLUSIVE distribution agreement for JAPAN only---so they can't sell/won't sell (as they shouldn't) to people on this side of the pond, they must be bought from the distribution system in Japan.

It's why, even now, 40 years later, you can still get S30 pieces from development companies.

Support your Z Vendors, when they go you're on your own!

I await that Japanese Assignment that gets me a Business Class ticket and all that free cargo accomodation called "Checked Baggage"!

That actually looks pretty good. Almost looks like "Fleckstone" texture.

Hey-

I wish it were smoother. The guy who did it said it was hard to get a smooth texture out of it, but at least I know it won't crack. I wanted to do the bottom of the car tinted body color, maybe later on down the road.

found a guy in WA that can do it! hes going to get back to me monday on the price but he says there not that bad. . . deff not like the $2100 some other guys want to charge.

PalmettoZ:

Nice, but my problem is my car is so origional that im affraid that your way would depreshiate the value, maybe..... Im in such good condition that im sceptical. . . that and i do show mine every once and a while. . . but still very nice job!!!

Hey-

Thanks, I see your point on trying to keep it original. I would probably try to do the same if I had a rare car like that one.

K so i heard from him actually this weekend. . . his price is a little high but not bad i guess seeing is it is new and original. . . here is his attachment for you to read.

February 20, 2009

Zack, Quote #45120

Thank you for your recent inquiry in regards to our dashboard restoration services.

Our services include the restoration of Dashboards, Consoles, and Arm Rests. Molded Door Panels may be provided for your vehicle depending on make and model. All work is done in our facility in Washington State. We will provide you with a genuine and professional restoration. Your unit will be stripped, reconditioned, shaped, and recovered with the best quality UV sun protected material using our unique vacuum heat molding process. This process ensures that your unit will be finished to "as new" condition, in the color of your choice, at no additional cost! We offer our customers a 100% guarantee against faulty workmanship and materials!

All units must be sent to us on the metal/plastic sub-frame – we are not able to accept the pad only. All fittings such as vents, instrument surrounds, plastic fittings, and fitted gauges that fit into the vinyl must be included. We cannot guarantee fit for items not sent. We are not able to duplicate some features such as stitching, raised letters or stencil patterns.

PRICING: Dash for a 1977 Datsun 280Z is $850.00. There is no charge for the coloring process. Please provide details and a sample of the color you want. Our estimated time to completion is 4-5 weeks, once at our shop. We reserve the right to alter the price or refuse the work if the condition of the dash is such that a positive result would be in question. When you are ready to proceed, please contact us for a work order form that will confirm the price and give us the information needed to complete the work. Send your unit UPS or FEDEX, prepaid, to the street address shown below. Upon completion, we will return your item to you via Fed Ex ground service. Money order, certified check, or most major credit cards are welcome. Price quoted assumes fair wear & tear condition and is good for 60 days.

Please acknowledge receipt of this quote and do not hesitate to contact us at the email address, fax or phone number below should you have additional questions.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Truly,

Pete

I actually use to live in WA so its near my parents place, ill prob just drop it off there when i head up there in june. Unless we find someone else to do it for cheep... So please lets keep this one going for all of us RHD drivers!

$850 is not bad, I was not aware anybody in the states was doing that. I assumed Australia was the only place.

Please post the name of the company. I wonder if they have any kind of group discount?

"Dash for a 1977 Datsun 280Z is $850.00" Have they done a RHD dash?

• 3 weeks later...