HybridZ

LS_1 / 6 Speed Clutch Question

OK, everything is in including the Taurus fan. Runs good, BUT, I have a clutch engagement problem. I orginally put a Tilton clutch master cylinder in in the 280Z, but prevented the washer bottle from fitting into the car. I took a risk and put the original Datsun master back in. Now the car will not shift into gear with the engine running. I can put it in first, start the engine and the engine will idle, so not too much drag. The cluch engages when the pedal is very near the floor and the car moves nicely. Question, any good ideas, if I use the Tilton, no washer bottle. Any other ideas are welcome. Heading out to the garage now to see if I can get any additional pedal travel out of the existing setup.

LS_1 646s_thumb.JPG

4754_thumb.attach

LS_1 625s_thumb.JPG

You need the tilton master on the car to better match up with the clutch slave in order to get enough pressure in your line to fill the clutch slave properly. The stock unit will not do. You will need to mount your washer reservior in a different location.

RW,

I used the tilton 75 series. It is shorter. Then I picked up a 90 degree elbo to put in the master to hook up to the line. Leaves plenty of room for the bottle. This might work with the 74 series but I don't know. The Datsun unit is only 5/8" and won't work. I tried that too. Good luck.

Mike

You guys are great !!!! I was out in the garage about an hour and already have answers to my question. I was able to take all of the slack out of the stock setup and it gave me enough extra pedal that I am able to engage the clutch now !!! I like the idea of the shorter Tilton and an going to look into it. The one I have is too long as the bottle comes down on top of it. I am going to the shop to get an exhaust made next week. Going to run into one cat and out a 3" pipe to a magnaflow and out the back.

Thanks again. !!!

Well, I just ordered a Tilton TIL-75-875U master cylinder from Summit. Looks like it should solve the clutch problem more elegantly than what I did this evening. Thanks for the tip. I assume it will not be metric so I will need to drill out the old threads. I actually was able to change the rod on the other Tilton with the old Z rod and convert it to metric. I dont imagine I will be that lucky with this one.

• 2 weeks later...

The Tilton TIL-75-875U went into the 280Z perfectly. It works great and the washer bottle clears. I did put a 90* elbow on it in order to make a quick turn out of the cylinder. It comes with straight fittings, so I should have ordered the fitting with the Tilton. Since I didnt, I had to drive to Denver to get one, apparantly "an" fittings are not stocked in most parts stores. I was able to switch the rod from the 280Z cylinder to the Tilton, so the rod and fitting to the pedal remained original metric, no drilling required.

I'm running the stock datsun mc. I know just about everyone is hating on it but its been working great for me. All I had to do was to extend the fork (which has a cotter pin back to the petal) by welding on a nut. After this modification the clutch works flawlessly and I couldn't be happier. Just an option if it doesn't work out.

The Tilton TIL-75-875U went into the 280Z perfectly. It works great and the washer bottle clears. I did put a 90* elbow on it in order to make a quick turn out of the cylinder. It comes with straight fittings, so I should have ordered the fitting with the Tilton. Since I didnt, I had to drive to Denver to get one, apparantly "an" fittings are not stocked in most parts stores. I was able to switch the rod from the 280Z cylinder to the Tilton, so the rod and fitting to the pedal remained original metric, no drilling required.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I will be putting the .875 tilton on my to-buy list with the 90* fiting.

thanks again!

I'm running the stock datsun mc. I know just about everyone is hating on it but its been working great for me. All I had to do was to extend the fork (which has a cotter pin back to the petal) by welding on a nut. After this modification the clutch works flawlessly and I couldn't be happier. Just an option if it doesn't work out.

Hmm, that is surely some good ingenuity, making something work from nothing; cheap too. You are using this with a WC T5 and V8 conversion, yes?

Davy

I'm using the T56. I bought the stock slave with the GM m.c. for a 96 camaro. I then the s.s.t. hose and went to my local to get a $5.00 fitting that they crimped on the hose. It is a compression fitting so all I had to do was simply slide one end on the hard line coming from the Datsun m.c. and tighten the nut. ( I went here www.cardinalrubber.com 's local branch).

This way I didn't have to gut the slave and tap it bleed it, etc,.