HybridZ

Bunch of questions about my engine :D

PanzerAce

So I recently (a week ago), got a 240Z with a 3.0L rebello in it. I was wondering if anyone could point me in a direction to get a manual of some kind for how to tune and maintain the triple mikuni carbs that are on there, since so far I haven't been able to find something, and all the shops basically say that you have to learn by watching someone do it :icon55:

Also, for when I eventually want more power, has any-body ever turbo charged a carb setup on here? If at all possible I want to avoid getting an entirely new head, since I would also have to deal with WAY more electronics if I just went with a P90...

thanks guys :burnout:

yah, he said that he didn't really have a guide for it, and that its one of things you kind of need to watch and learn from someone, but there isn't anyone in the area AFAIK. I'll give a shop I know tomorrow to see if they know anyone that is good with mikunis in the area.

Funny... A week or so ago a newbie posted about building a 3.0 turbo and he got his a$$ handed to him.

I've always wondered how much of a pain in the butt a tripple turbo setup would be. I read corky's book and it seemed to me like he thought the "tripple webber" way of turboing an L28 was the not the most efficient way of boosting an L28. Don't get me wrong I'm not poo pooing the Idea, More like I'm just wondering what the appeal is.

thanks, Matt-

Well, the appeal (to me), is:

1) Being different. Sure, its not like you see 3Ls with P90 heads and turbos very often, let alone 240s at all in the central valley that are actually on the road, but it is different from the norm.

2) Different kind of labor that has to be done: Instead of having to pull the entire head assembly, AND do all the piping, so far it seems like this setup would mostly just need the piping redone.

3) My current setup was built by rebello, and probably is worth more than I paid for the car when you include labor, so if at all possible I would like to keep it the way it is (mostly).

Sure, there are some things that will make it more difficult to do than a straight head swap etc, but there are other things that matter to me (like keeping computers as far away from my engine as possible).

*shrugs*, thats just me.

thanks for the answers Panzerace,

It sounds like you have a P90 head on your motor already so there would be no need for a head swap if you went with FI.

I hear you with the computer... I don't really want to tackle the computer problems but I figure it would be easier and cheeper than the tripple problems.

Nbesheer.... If it was a single SU turbo blow through then it would prob. be a V12 jag SU... just a guess.

Matt-

thanks for the answers Panzerace,

It sounds like you have a P90 head on your motor already so there would be no need for a head swap if you went with FI.

I hear you with the computer... I don't really want to tackle the computer problems but I figure it would be easier and cheeper than the tripple problems.

Nbesheer.... If it was a single SU turbo blow through then it would prob. be a V12 jag SU... just a guess.

Matt-

sorry, should have been more clear: I DON'T have a P90 head (AFAIK).

Point 1 was more like: 240Zs aren't that common in the central valley of CA anyway, but I also don't want it to be like other people's that just put P90 heads on when they want a turbo kit.

Actually, thats one more thing I should check out when I fix the throttle cable is what head I actually have :)

People put on a P90 not becuse of popularity, but because of detonation resistance and the larger chamber to lower the CR. Do you know the specific specs on the motor?

Is it a small bore stroker or a large bore with the L28 crank? (guessing the second)

With some KA24-spec pistons that have a 2.8cc dish you could achieve a 7.7:1 CR with P90 head.

You could do a P79 just to be different or if you can't get a P90...it has the same chamber as the P90 but has small cast-in steel exhaust liners in the head.

I'd love to see a blow through old school turbo motor built.

You know Rebello made a 3.3 liter... saw it somewhere on the web. Guessing it has a welded stroker crank though.

Funny... A week or so ago a newbie posted about building a 3.0 turbo and he got his a$$ handed to him.

I've always wondered how much of a pain in the butt a tripple turbo setup would be. I read corky's book and it seemed to me like he thought the "tripple webber" way of turboing an L28 was the not the most efficient way of boosting an L28. Don't get me wrong I'm not poo pooing the Idea, More like I'm just wondering what the appeal is.

thanks, Matt-

which chapter was that in? I read the book twice and didn't see any L28 references.

People put on a P90 not becuse of popularity, but because of detonation resistance and the larger chamber to lower the CR. Do you know the specific specs on the motor?

Is it a small bore stroker or a large bore with the L28 crank? (guessing the second)

With some KA24-spec pistons that have a 2.8cc dish you could achieve a 7.7:1 CR with P90 head.

You could do a P79 just to be different or if you can't get a P90...it has the same chamber as the P90 but has small cast-in steel exhaust liners in the head.

I'd love to see a blow through old school turbo motor built.

You know Rebello made a 3.3 liter... saw it somewhere on the web. Guessing it has a welded stroker crank though.

Dang, a 3.3? I know they sell 3.2 without the cylinder head, but I didn't know about any 3.3.

I'm pretty sure it is a large bore with a L28 crank.

I have to call Rebello tomorrow anyway about some stuff, I'll see if I can find out about this 3.3 you are talking about.

Hey careless... Its been a while since I read corky's book but... I don't think he specificly refered to the L28 but there was a section about carb'd turbos and there is a picture of an L28 with tripples and a blow through system, so I assume he sort of had that system in mind while he wrote that section ( a total assumption on my part).

I hope that helps

Matt-

Dang, a 3.3? I know they sell 3.2 without the cylinder head, but I didn't know about any 3.3.

Yeah... I saw it on a car for sale somewhere. Don't remember where.

There is a "legit" way to make a 3.3 out of USDM parts without crankshaft welding. You'd still have 3mm+ cylinder walls too but lots of block work. :wink:

I'm guessing that the 3.3 was experimental and may have required a LOT of work.

The one Rebello 3.2/tripple weber I heard (belonged to GNOSEZ) sounded absolutely wicked. WOT through first and part of second gear in Fontana village... :-D it gave me happy feelings. :-P

Hey careless... Its been a while since I read corky's book but... I don't think he specificly refered to the L28 but there was a section about carb'd turbos and there is a picture of an L28 with tripples and a blow through system, so I assume he sort of had that system in mind while he wrote that section ( a total assumption on my part).

I hope that helps

Matt-

any chance you could scan that section? Or let me know what the ISBN number is? Thanks.

Panzerace.... I don't know the ISBN # but you can get the book on amazon.

search for Corky Bell, the name of the book is maximum boost, Its really great info. I had to read it twice just to understand it. I was able to check it out of my local library.

Matt-