HybridZ

200ZR question

alexideways

I have a "Z-file" magazine from Japan that has the history from the Fairlady on up...

I can't read Japanese, but from what I can tell:

-9/83 the Z31 entered the market with a 300ZX and 2000ZG (2l or 3l SOHC V6)

-1985 came the RB20DET and the 2 seater 2000ZR-I and 2000ZR-II with a T-bar roof

-1986->1988 was the 300ZR or 300ZX (2l or 3l DOHC V6 with a VG30DE(?))

-and somewhere in there is a VG30ET

I could be totally wrong but it looks like only 1985?! :hs:

Man! We got left out here in the States for the 3rd gen. :cry2:

Yea, hugh the 200zr was available from 1984-1988. The 200zr-I was the early style hood scoop like the 200sx turbo's, and the 200zr-II was the small hood scoop in the middle of the hood for the TMIC. The transition year for the I to II was 86 (IIRC).

The 300zr was powered by a vg30de (I dont know what years they were produced).

Hi MJ, in general Nissan has treated the American market differently than the "rest of the world" market.

I think "Datsun" was only used here in the USDM from '58-'83. In the rest of the world, the S130 is dubbed the "280Z" not the 280ZX. In Europe, there never was a S30 280Z, it was still called the 260Z from '74 up to '78 I believe...have you also noticed that in Europe, most of the S130's are 2+2's (or 2by2) it is really wierd.

So along those lines, due to probably emissions and crash protection restrictions that the US federal government allowed for imports, the JDM had a lot more engine (and body) configurations for the Z31 than we had here in the states. I don't know why my magazine calls it the "2000ZR" instead of the 200ZR, but the ZR was available with an SR20DET engine...I thought there were other engine configurations for the Z31 besides the SR20 and VG...

The reason that in Japan they made a lot of 2 litre engines is for tax purposes. As long as the engine displacement stayed at 2L or below, either the manufacturer or the consumer didn't have to pay a high "luxury tax" like they would for a bigger displacement engine. That is why you see an L20ET engine once in awhile instead of an L28ET.

...I don't know why my magazine calls it the "2000ZR" instead of the 200ZR, but the ZR was available with an SR20DET engine...I thought there were other engine configurations for the Z31 besides the SR20 and VG...

You mean RB20DET, there never was an SR20, or any 4 cyl., in the Z line, IIRC.:wink:

Thanks for the info. on the production runs.

I'll just have to believe you, I don't know if you read Japanese or if you have a translator software, but I can't make up anything that's in that link.

Thanks for sharing what you know... Do you know if the 200ZRs had an LSD from the beginning or from 03/87 like the USDM 300ZX???

You mean RB20DET, there never was an SR20, or any 4 cyl., in the Z line, IIRC.:wink:

Thanks for the info. on the production runs.

D'oh Alexideways, you're totally right on (my mistake)!

I was thinking last night...wait a minute...does this mean they put a 4-cylinder in a Z?! That doesn't sound right!! :shock: