HybridZ

came into 4 sway bars, but to what?

Guest grunt0311

Guest grunt0311

I recently came into 4 sway bars but I do not know what they go to. It was from a z shop at auction. They are blue 2 front 1 rear and one black rear. No markings though. And a bunch of energy suspension bushings. How would I find out what years they go to? Anyone have any idea?

I just bought a 240 and I am relegating the 280 into a parts car yeehaa! Now I have a z that runs!!!

71 5sp slicked up

76 still not running

Measure the thickness, of the swaybars. The stock ones are 18 or 20mm thick and the stiffness goes up by the fourth power of the thickness.

I.e. you measure your new bar to be 1" or 25.4mm and your old bar was 20mm. Then 25.4/20 = 1.27 your new bar is 1.27 times thicker than the old one. The stiffness is 1.27 raised to the 4'th power is 2.6 times stiffer. If the new bar was 1 1/8 " or 28.575mm it would be 4.17 times as stiff as the 20mm bar. I'm looking for a 1 1/8" front and a 7/8" rear bars if you wanna sell a set, for a good deal.

Thure

Guest grunt0311

They are the aftermarket type I guess, by the way your drawing looked. How would I tell if they go to a 240 260 280 or zx? any ideas?

71 5sp slicked up

76 still not running tongue.gif

There will be no difference. Any front Z bar will fit all Zs. The aftermarket rear Z bar (mounted from behind the differential should fit all Zs, and the OEM rear bar should do the same (but I think some early 240s did not have provisions for a rear bar?). I may be interested in purchasing one of your aftermarket rear bars if you have an extra one you don't need.

Starting in 1973 the 240 got provisions for the OEM bar. My 73 parts car has the early car suspension techniques uprights with sway bar mounts, but the sway bar on the car is mounted to the OEM location. Weird, but the nature of a 30+ year old car that people monkey with.

Guest grunt0311

I took a look at msa catalog and they look like the front swaybars(they have the hump in the middle) and they list different ones for diffferent years. I put them next to each other and they seem to be slightly different lengths. Blue, are you sure they fit all z's?

thanks all who have tried to help still trying to identify them before I try to sell/trade them to anyone.

grunt0311

71 5sp slicked up

76 still not running