HybridZ

#248 cranks!!! But won't start....LT1 Help needed.

Guys:

Let me say in advance that I've searched and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.

Situation is this: car cranks very nicely, fuel is getting pumped (know that due to the gallon or so that got puked on my foot) and there is power to the coil. (With the key on, I tested for power to the coil and it is there at the bottom, single pin connector. The upper "half" of the connector has no power to it.)

However, engine won't start. Should I be getting power to the other pins? Seems too simple to say that the coil is bad, but...

During the rebuild, the coil and opticrap cover were replaced with MSD parts.

If any of you have any thoughts or criticisms, please, send them my way. I'd really like to have this thing running.

Bryan

Disconnect the pump wiring, then pull a spark plug, connect the plug wire, hold the plug against the block and crank the engine. You should see spark if the ignition system is working, if you don't then at least you know where to start more investigating.

Wheelman

What wiring harness did you use? I had that same issue with mine with the painless harness using the factory computer. I was not using the factory fuel pump signal or the fuel pump relay, but they had to be installed on the car to make it see the signal to fire the injectors as well as the spark. Mine did the same, cranked, but no start. I wired in the fuel pump relay in the harness and used that signal to fire the real fuel pump relay that I have located in the back and that did the trick. It started right up.

The harness is a stock harness, modified by Speartech and uses the factory computer. Speartech added a fuel pump relay. This weekend will be trouble shooting time, hopefully I'll be able to figure it out and get the beast running.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bryan

i would check the fuel pump circuit, I did the same using the painless harness with the factory comp, and I used my own circuit for the fuel pump, not the one the computer controls. It did just what yours is doing. So what I did was to hook up a relay again to the factory comp like it wants, then used that signal to trigger the relay that I installed and it works great. I got mine going last Sat, and have been driving it to work every day since with no problems.