HybridZ

Anyone here that plays in the stock market?

HoustonZ

I've learned as much as I can via their website and their patents. The patents are easy to find just using google searching "coates patents"

The company seems to be trying to hit the industrial market hard. This, in all honesty, is where the money is at. I'd like to see them in the hobbyist market, but there just isn't the same demand there.

If you look into them, you'll notice many of their patents revolve around a valve sealing system their engine's used in order to actually seal off the combustion chamber. I suspect this is the weakest link in their engines, because they don't talk at ALL about this technology and patents on their site. The idea has proved to work well, but I have a feeling we're just seeing the begining of the potential they'll be bringing to the table.

Ok... back on topic...

One of my best friends made a ton of money off of a penny stock once. He sold his entire paintball rig for about 2k (gave it away imo) and put it ALL into a company that sells iron on a large scale basis for bridge work. The stock was at like .004 and they'd just gotten a huge project in and it jumped to like .012. He sold it all and then bought his CRX and had the money for his engine swap.

I’m dumb, lazy and risk-averse, and therefore only invest in non-penny stocks and in fact primarily in index funds. The objective is to hold real companies with real earnings, real earnings growth and a real track record. Over the past few weeks my losses are - unreal. Over many years the track record has been… OK. But it beats a money market account.

MACD and all that are nice concepts, but if the underlying fundamentals are not sound, there is not even a pretense of it being an “investmentâ€; it is a pure gamble. And though it may be whimsical to regard the stock market as a gamble, it shouldn't be as such - I mean, all of life involves some risk taking, but there's prudent risk and then there's wild risk.

My situation is a little different from most of the folks who have posted in this thread. At my phase of life “wealth†preservation is more important than trying to make something out of nothing. I’m quite happy with a 8% annual rate of return.

But in any situation investment requires considerable study and patience. It also requires the right set of character traits - or as some people would opine, “the right attitudeâ€. If you are truly dispassionate - great, I applaud you! But that is very, very hard to achieve in practice.

Great advice Dayz. Right now I'm breaking my own rules, going all in on one stock, and holding it for weeks. Check out the chart for COPI, tell me what you think.

copi.png

That chart looks familiar...

I have been reading one of the books by the IBD (Investors Business Daily) and that perfectly matches the "cup with a handle" pattern that they talk about. Microsoft did the same thing before they had huge growth in Jan of 1990 to January 1991 where the stock nearly doubled.