HybridZ

turbo boost

hey guys i got a probly wif me l20et,,,,,, wen i put me foot down my boost gauge doesnt show anyboost, it goes up maybe 1 psi the dropps into the vacume, i dnt get it y is it doin this, it doesnt even sound like my turbo is boosting, iv been told be a friend dat borrowd the car that the wastgate is stuck nopen or sumth, could this b the cause??????????

Dude, you're gonna get treated on this forum in the same manner you present yourself. Present yourself mature and professional, and you get treated as such...

I think a DEI system would nicely bypass the turbo all together, and get rid of your problems, providing infinite boost!! (for those of you who saw the epic thread a couple of months ago)

Can you feel the turbo kick in at all? What size turbo is on there?

Like the others said, type intelligibly and you'll get a better response.

That said, I think your friend is right. Unless the turbo is somehow shot it is probably the wastegate. From what I understand, there are hoses that come off the side of the compressor housing. When you build boost it pressurizes and sends the signal to the wastegate actuator. The actuators are sized so they will open the wastegate at a specific boost level to protect from over-boosting. Assuming you have an internal wastegate, there is a puck inside the housing that is basically a door that keeps the gasses flowing through the turbine wheel until the wastegate opened by the actuator to limit the boost ("wasting" the exhaust gasses instead of turning the turbine wheel).

You need a tensile load from the actuator to keep the wastegate door shut. Say that the wastegate hole has an area of 1 in^2. To be able to keep the pressure before the turbine to say 40 psi, you need up to 40 pounds of pulling force to keep the door shut since force=pressure*area. Of course it may be more or less than that from the rod depending on the lever arm of the puck...

It sounds like the wastegate isn't in the closed position to start with. If it were me, I would inspect the wastegate rod and check to see if the actuator is not keeping the puck in the closed position. You can remove the cotter pin and pull the rod just above puck pin to see if the puck can be held shut more by moving it's pin closer to the center section. You may need to either clock the bracket so it is in a better position, or else shorten the actuator rod.

Good luck and I hope I'm not wrong here...I had the same experience and this is how I solved it.

hey guys i got a probly wif me l20et,,,,,, wen i put me foot down my boost gauge doesnt show anyboost, it goes up maybe 1 psi the dropps into the vacume, i dnt get it y is it doin this, it doesnt even sound like my turbo is boosting, iv been told be a friend dat borrowd the car that the wastgate is stuck nopen or sumth, could this b the cause??????????

:sour::bonk:

whtproabllymeedtoheckthetolshed!

Holy f%$#ing ROFL!!!!:lmao::lmao:

sorry guys im new here im used too r31 skylines forum were everyone just talks in slang and just talks lots of crap, thank you for your replies and ill try hughdogz said thanks mate! oh and by the way the turbo is just the stock t3 that come with this engine

No worries Mate! Glad I could help. ;)

I'm sure you'll be back to full boost in no time. :icon14:

hey guys i got 1 more problem with the ignition timing of my car. i set it to TDC sparks of number 1 and its advanced asmuch as the distributer will let me and it still doesnt runn rite, its got a missfire and it gets worse wen i retard i and get better when i adavnce it, problem it i cant go no futher! im used to the RB30 were if you get this problem you can just move it a tooth over on the distributer, the l20et hase a flat piece and only slide in 1 way, so wat do i do?????? thanks again guys im just trying to get her running rite untill i got the money to import my l28e block for my new project

The distributor and oil pump share the same shaft on L-series engines.

It could be that someone installed the oil pump / distributor shaft retarded (literally speaking).

The '81 turbo distributor is different than '82-83. What year is your L20ET?

Also, it might have been better to start a new thread with a proper title...