HybridZ

SRT4 seats installation

rejracer

Jason,

I still don't have pics of the brackets, but I will get them for you. The brackets are simple L brackets with 2 gussets on the outer edges. I used 1/8" thick bar stock, I think 1.5" wide for the L bracket, and the gussets were from 14 Ga plate. The Angle was determined when I bolted the bracket to the seat, and to the stock mount, it was something like 100 degrees, but don't take that literially, it was just a wee bit past 90*.

Pics of the brackets would be good for the thread. I made what was there work for me...for now. I didn't need a bracket at all for the driver side and only put on the passenger side back inner mount point as it was off of the stock mount.

WARNING for all of you out there that are 6'2" or over, these seats may be too tall for you. I am 6'2". These seats are crazy comfortable and I fit them great, but I had to find just the right spot for me to not bump the ceiling. When i get to it, I am going to cut out the existing seat brackets and replace them with some much more solid steel and set the mounts about 1.5" lower.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not use any brackets when I did it. I just took my time, lined it all up, drilled new holes, then ran the bolts that came with the seats up from the bottom through the existing rails.

I think the seat is too high (not enough head room), so i will be making new rails in the future for the seat to bolt too. I will probably run a bolt down from the top with that set up and have a nut welded on the back side of the new rails.

• 3 weeks later...
what did you pay for the seats, if you don't mind me asking?

I paid $330 on Ebay and they are in perfect condition. Shipping would have been $125, but i had a buddy pick them up for me on his way through the area and I gave him $50, soooo $380 overall. Not bad for a nice set of really comfortable, highly bolstered seats.

note: these will not fit in the 280 and if you are 6'2" like me, you may have some fitment issues relative to head room. I am going to chop out the factory seat bracket and get some rails welded in that are around 1.5" shorter. I want to make sure there is plenty of room for a helmet later. :twisted:

I finally took pictures of the L shaped brackets I welded up.

Here they are:

dscn2733-Copy.jpg

dscn2735-Copy.jpg

If I were to do this over again, I would have mounted the fronts similar to what DarthZ did and just drill a new hole in the seat frame rail At the time I did not want to swiss cheeze my car, but I think I'm over that now..

I may revisit the mounting of these seats, and lower them similar to what darth had suggested. For now though, they work great.

These are 1 off design, I don't intend on producing them. I think Darth's solution is better, just drill the seat frame rail and the chassis to match.

I think it was 7$ in steel I had to buy. about 2 hours fab time...

I'm not going to make another set, I ended up drilling more holes in the car using them, than doing the other method.

• 3 weeks later...
Not from what i can tell. When I get home I will take some measurements of the width of the seat at the front and at the back. I will be suprised if it will fit a 280 as there isn't much room around the seat in my 240.

Thanks DarthZ. I was hoping it would fit but I guess not. Do let me know the measurements.

The widest point on the bolstering for the seat area is about 22", the back of the seat is almost 20". Note the mounting frame is more narrow than 22" and you should measure between your inner door seal and the inner edge of the center console to determine if the 22" width will fit. Also consider room to reach the seat adjustment controls on the side and if you are planning on running any roll cage bars around the seat.