HybridZ

T56 parts needed to finish install(Mikelly HELP!!!)

Guest Locutus

Guest Locutus

I posted this under another topic but no one answered, so I thought maybe the topic wasn't clear enough, I need help to make sure I have all the parts I need either here or on the way so I can do my own engine install in 2 weeks. I wanna post my own whip *** story smile.gif Any help will be appreciated

I have the tranny and the bell housing. I know I still need a clutch fork, slave and master cylinders, centerforce clutch and pressure plate(wthrow out bearing) flywheel, and pilot bearing. Is there anything I left out. also since this is an electronic speedo tranny, I know I need a electronic speedometer, but is there anything else I need, how does the speed sensor connect to the speedo. Also the drive shaft, do I need to get a Camaro one to shorten or what other drive shafts will work. You guys that have done this is there anything else I need? Oh also the tranny mount what does yalls look like, got any pictures?

Don't recall what kinda car you have but

installing the T56 in my 73 240Z required me to cut 2 inches out of the middle section of the JTR style tranny Xmember. The T56 is

evidently longer than the others mentioned in JTRs book.

I also had to hammer a little of the tunnel,

get out, get back in, and hammer some more.

You might as well hammer too much while the

tranny is not installed yet, that way you won't have to go back in.

Modify the skip shift too. One thing that I wondered was, would the thing engage if there

were no wires attached to it? If no, then there would be no reason to cut it up. See

my Mikelly question post a little while back if you havent already.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Guest Locutus

Well I am putting it into a ZX, I think my trans tunnel is wider,but I was mostly concerned with the internal parts, and things I needed to make the tranny function in any car.

I think you have covered it all Locutus. Just print my tech page and keep it handy. As for the Speedo, I'm having trouble getting my VDO programmed, but I would go with a programable speedo and sensor mounted at the driveshaft and not worry about the internals of the T56.

Also, Owen is correct, we modified two different parts, each of us was led to a different point for the Skip Shift... I have no idea who was right and who wasn't, but I have driven my car with no issues with the trans. It works great, best trans I have ever owned. So if own modified the right part and I didn't, I would say skip that step all together because mine is working great! Feel free to call me if you have problems during install and setup..

Mike

540-891-4420

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Locutus

I was looking at some wiring diagrams for the camaro, and it looks like the skip shift shouldn't engage unless there is power to it. According to one manual 3 conditions have to be met Temp and RPM is 2 but I can't remember the 3rd. What puzzles me is Mike you say you can get in reverse with out a problem, but did you hook up anything to the reverse lockout. According to those diagrams you wouldn't be able to shift into reverse with out activating that switch. Maybe you modified the reverse lockout instead of the skip shift??

That is quite possible, because Owen's Pic IDs the unit I modified as the solenoid for the Reverse Lockout. I had been told that that unit was the Skip Shift. However, I'm having no issues with the transmission not working as expected. Thing works flawless.

Mike

------------------

mjk

Actually you can shift into reverse without

having the reverse lockout wired up. I have

some chevy mag articles if you're interested,

but I think you know all you need to know already. One article has a diagram for using

the stock master cylinder by use of an angled

piece of sheet metal.

Owen

------------------

The shift pattern is a double "H" with the reverse to the right of where 5th gear is.

It is a very tight shift gate, and very smooth if you use the GM syncromesh fluid.

Mike

------------------

mjk

I am not sure exactly if the skip shift needs to be modified or not. My first thought was that if there was no power going to it, it couldn't engage. My second thought was, what if it's already in the engaged position? So I decided to modify it per M. Kelly's instructions instead of leaving the

possiblity of having to do it later.

Another thing that needs clarification is,

which part is the skip shift solenoid? Mike and I got our info from different sources, and we modified different parts...maybe one of you guys planning to do the swap can clarify this for future generations.

Owen

------------------

I hope so, because regardless of which way was right, my documentation will need to reflect it... I have way to many people asking about that article and tech info. I want it to be right...

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest RyalC

I will try to help "clarify" the skip-shift issue when I get back home. I have the Helms manual for the '94 Camaro Z28 AND I have the the T56 sitting in my shed. Since I disabled the CAGS (skip-shift) when it was in the Z28 I think I can find the right solenoid. I will verify this with the Helms manual and post the info (and possibly a scanned image) here in the forum.

The solenoid beside the shifter is the Reverse lockout, the plug in below that is the speed sensor, the solenoid on the same side as the reverse lock out but just ahead of it toward the bell housing is the skip shift, the plug on the opposite side near the bell housing is the reverse light switch.

Hope this helps.

Guest RyalC

I scanned a picture of the T56 transmission from the '94 Camaro Helms manual if anyone is interested. It is pretty specific on the location of the CAGS (skip shift). I haven't figured out quite how to post it here but I will e-mail it to anyone who wants it.

Based on the scanned text and image, it would appear that I modified the speedo sensor (As did Matt Millen). Now I guess my question is this: Why is my trans working???? I am now wondering if tha trans needs any real mods at all...... I am confused.

Mike

------------------

mjk