HybridZ

Power Brute Life and Breakaway Torque

Just Jim

I replaced the R200 Lincoln Posi (welded spiders) with a Power Brute in my 240Z but didn't check the "break a way torque". Now,after 12 drag strip runs it takes about 75-80lbs to turn one axle with the opposite wheel on the ground. Is 75-80lbs the normal "break a way torque" on a new unit or are the clutches starting to wear already? How many burnouts will a CLSD last?

75-80lbs is a little high on breakaway torque but for your application its fine. A differential isn't working as a diff if both wheels are spinning so I don't think you'll see much wear during burnouts. The diff works hard when its trying to work traction to both sides as the tires are gripping.

Would it be correct to say that there is no slippage (CLSD is not wearing) in straight line use as well (while gripping and assuming the tires are the same height and pressure)?

I'm sure there's some slippage or working of the clutch packs but its very minor compared to the work they do under power in a corner.

Thanks for the info,John. The first time at the drag strip with the CLSD the 60foot times were the same as with the welded spiders. The second trip to the track the 60 foots were off and the tires were spinning some. Seems like the track wasn't prepped as good the second outing causing the wheel spin rather than the CLSD clutches slipping.

http://bowtie0069.fotki.com/2006-irwindale-pix/102606/img1450.html