HybridZ

Inner / outer tie rods

I have a question for anyone who has purchased new tie rods (inner / outer) for their 240z. I bought both inners and both outers, from two different places. Got everything to find out that the inners threads are too small and slide in and out of my outers. If that makes sense? So I go down to the local parts store and ask for a set of inners to compare with the ones I got. (two different places) They're the same. So I assume that the inners I received are the correct ones. No one has any outers in stock so I have nothing to reference except for the ones on my car. I was thinking about ordering a set of outers from the same place I got the inners from and crossing my fingers.

Has any one else had similar problems?

this is a picture of the inner diameter of my outer:

DSCN0480.JPG

And here is a picture showing the Outer diameter of my inner rods:

DSCN0482.JPG

I went through this last summer. I ordered inners on line, and when I got them they were the wrong ones.This happened a couple of times. So I bit the bullet and got the inner/outer assemblies from Nissan ( they come together). On a stock Z there is a left side inner/outer , and a right side inner/outer . Nissan no longer makes the right side, so they sell you two left side assemblies ( driver's side ). This is probably the only way you are going to get the right inners.

Having the same issue, the inners I am getting are way too long and the wrong thread size, does anyone know a good source to get inners for Series 1/Early 1970 240z?

You won't find outers for an early 240. They used a smaller post on the outer tie rod than the 72 and later cars, and somewhere along the line all of the parts manufacturers stopped making the early ones. In order to replace the outers you need later steer knuckles. The steer knuckles aren't hard to swap out, so it's not the worst job in the world, but you'll have to get a hold of some knuckles.