HybridZ

Importing a car into Australia

Lukaniuk

Here, this will help. Click on Vehicle Standards Bulletin VSB10 - Importing Vehicles to Australia. Basically if vehicles are over 30 years old there is no problem.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/importing.aspx

A co-worker of mine is from Aus, he considered moving back but didn't soley because he would have to convert his MINT '65 Riviera to RHD. This is to the Sydney area.

I'm not too sure we would want someone back who makes such ill-informed decisions! Come to think on it and knowing the Aussie sense of humor, I think he was probably 'having a lend of you'.

A friend of mine imported a car from Austrailia, a 1973 (might have been a '74) Ford Falcon XB GT, to make a Mad Max replica. This is the car: www.madmaxcar.com

Anyway, he was looking into moving to Austrailia, for various reasons, and found that he wouldn't be able to drive the car in Austrailia the way it is, due to the blower sticking through the hood. He has been informed that the hood can not have any holes in it, even for something like a blower. Sucks, because it's such a perfect replica, and he's put a lot into the car.

He could import the car, but it would not be able to be registered.

I know that I have seen stories of LHD cars in Austrailia, one story was about an older couple that drove across the outback by bike, they had to put a sticker on the back, to say that it was LHD, it had a sidecar. I thought that was rather entertaining, since it was a bike afterall. Take the sidecar off and it's a RHD? :lol:

I wish I could remember what the cars were like when I lived there 20 years ago. I'd like to go back one day, get to the places I missed.

Here, this will help. Click on Vehicle Standards Bulletin VSB10 - Importing Vehicles to Australia. Basically if vehicles are over 30 years old there is no problem.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/importing.aspx

I'm not too sure we would want someone back who makes such ill-informed decisions! Come to think on it and knowing the Aussie sense of humor, I think he was probably 'having a lend of you'.

2008-1974 >30 YES!!!!!!

Thank you! I haven't read it all yet, but I'm sure its going to answer a lot of my questions.

hello, I am in Aus, (ACT) and i was a Rego inspector.

Im not going to say that my knowledge is complete, But you should definately be able to import and register your car as a LHD model.

I have seen a few LHD mustangs getting around, and to my knowledge, all they had to do was put a LHD sticker on the back of the car.

We had a soldier who was stationed overseas bring his Honda van over with him, and it was a LHD 2001 model, he regoed it no probs, only had to make a few small changes for compliancing, like changing the park lights from amber to white.

What state/city are you looking to go to? I can try and track down some contact number and Email addy's for you to question.

There is a personal import arrangement where late model LHD cars can be brought in by visitors for personal use. You would need to get specific as to what you want to bring in, for how long, etc.

General regulations on what mods can and can't be done are apparently harsh and complicated compared with the US, there are Federal requirements plus State requirements which vary between States. Basically its a mess.