HybridZ

Ka-T guys chime in

Z U L8R

i sold my 280z and i'm in love with my 72 510. i have a ka24de in it at the moment.

i have gsxr1000 itb's i plan on putting on it and making a plenum. but in the meantime i'm beefing up the suspension/drivetrain/brakes.

my goal: 450-500rwhp

my line of reasoning is that ka with 20 over pistons, rods, bearings, head gasket, arp studs (cams are a possibility but still indecisive) should be able to support that goal. and being oversized it should make the displacement comparable to an rb25....with that as my thought foundation. i will probably be going with a gt35r or a gt30/76r + nitrous (for the quicker spool to the 400 range then the extra shot for back up to reach my hp # goal.

was just curious to hear from other ka-t people on what their set ups are with what kind of numbers they're making to give me an idea of what some been there done that options are,

thx,

Dave =]

A guy from work here has a 98 240sx with a KA-T and Unreal suspension. It is a time attack car. He built it with CP pistons, Cometic hg, ARP everything, custom top mount manifold, GT30r and the full AEM EMS system. At 18-20lbs of boost it put down about 430 but was kept at 14lbs dyno tuned at 356hp at the wheels on a mustang dyno. I have driven this car and can attest to the fact that it is stupid fast even on the low boost.

However, after much abuse the rods apparantly weakend. He was giving me a ride to an appointment I had and cruising at about 2800 rpm it died nothing loud though. We tore it apart and found the no.1 rod snapped and ripped through the girdle and block.

This weekend we put the new motor together with the new Carillo rods and new CP pistons. This time it has a ported head though :P. It should be wicked fast for another 8 months before it breaks again. were gonna finish it up this weekend and have fun all next week.

197960339333_0_1.jpg

197960298245_0_1.jpg

197960274565_0_1.jpg

197960253573_0_1.jpg

lol i like how u said "it should be fast for another 8 months before i breaks again" = the story of my life >_<

so far i've got 6 grand in the 510

walboro 255lph inline fuel pump, 1" front sway bar, rear quicker bar, 280z front suspension /w 4 piston toyota brakes, wilwood rear disc brakes, and old tired ass 240,000+ ka24de that i got from a friend for free front coil overs /w 225lb springs and camber/caster plates. i have a front strut bar off a 240sx, the bolt pattern is the same but i need to shorten the bar to make it work

next on the list

*rear coil overs 200lb springs /w 16 way adjustable dampening

*300zx tt lsd (3.69 ratio) in the back and shortening the cv's

*300zx na 5 speed tranny + uber driveshaft for it

*9 second roll cage and possibly stitch welding the chassis up (i really don't wanna twist this chassis, it's too pretty lol)

*sissy gas tank with a cheesy fuel pump so i don't run out of fuel when cornering.....(or doing wheelies ^_^)

that should take care of the suspension/brakes/drivetrain

then after a couple sidework motor swaps

*77 Rabbit 22x13" aluminum racing rad + FAL slim fans ($400 for all @ summit)

*aem ems

*i already have some gsxr1000 individual throttle bodies, i'll get a plenum made for it, and get those on the ka's intake runners

*GT35R (i've decided to go with that

*I already have a log manifold /w t3 flange and 38mm external wg flange in it

*Tial 38mm i already have

*i have 550cc injectors but i may go bigger

*9:1 wiseco pistons

*Eagle rods

*Commetic HG

*ARP head/main studs

*Brian Crower stg 2 cams /w springs & retainers

*Port the head

*possibly a 50-125 shot of laughy gas :D

*i can't afford another OS Geiken super single, so i'll probably go with a clutch master sprung 6 puck

*3, maybe 3.5" exhaust

*i'm indecisive about water-air or just all air fmic, i just don't have much room up in the front

*Blitz Bov times 2

and that's my recipe for this Datsun go-kart, that thing's a blast to drive with ~110rwhp, i get beat by a 1-2 cars vs my friend's with stock sr'd 240's so with 500rwhp it's gonna be a blast.

my goal is to have it all done and painted by the end of the year....

i'll keep you guy's posted....or just post some vids when my "talk" turns into a tangible street car :D

thx manny =]

any more ka-t guy's?

Dave =]

• Administrators

I've often thought a KA-t would be just about the ideal powerplant for a 510. There's a local chap that's done just that... and then some. Its one of the most impressive 510's I've witnessed...

KADimeB.jpg

KADimeC-1.jpg

KADime.jpg

4-link rear suspension...

KADimeC.jpg

However, after much abuse the rods apparantly weakend. He was giving me a ride to an appointment I had and cruising at about 2800 rpm it died nothing loud though. We tore it apart and found the no.1 rod snapped and ripped through the girdle and block.

The rod snapped and blew a hole in the block after shattering the girdle,but it wasnt loud...impressive!

Is the engine made of lead?

Im almost finished turbo charging an 89 3 valve engine in my 240SX track car. It has a log manifold, a Z31 turbo....no intercooler (for now) Stock head. The local NISSAN techs tell me it should be able to run 5 to 6 psi with no changes. (its a real BUDGET car!)

It may end up with a hole in the block as well.... :) haha...........

KA-t would be much better!

that's a bad ass 510, i love the primer.....just something about it makes the car more intimidating.

was good meeting u, i'll definately be in touch and thanks for the ideas/help finding parts. i'll keep my eyes out for a ka, in fact i think lethal's got one, i'll try and get him down on the price lol.

take care,

Dave =]

that's a bad ass 510, i love the primer.....just something about it makes the car more intimidating.

was good meeting u, i'll definately be in touch and thanks for the ideas/help finding parts. i'll keep my eyes out for a ka, in fact i think lethal's got one, i'll try and get him down on the price lol.

take care,

Dave =]

hey Dave what made you decide on the KA-T setup. Was it moreso that you already had the motor for free or did you make the decision on other factors? I was honestly thinking of putting an SR in my dime just because that's what I've always wanted, but I was intending on keeping my motor relatively stock unlike you. I was just looking to daily my 510 and maybe slap on a GT28RS or GT30 (older style) and basic supporting mods for that and call it a day. Was just thinking I'd go with a factory turboed motor? what do you think

should be fine for what you wanna do with it. rocker arm stoppers are your friend.

doesn't really matter what u put in a 510, they're so light anything'll make it fun as hell to drive. i could put a 28/71 on the ka now, run 7-10psi on stock internals and probably make somewhere in the high 2's - 300 range and scare the ♥♥♥♥ outta myself. but with me it's either stock or 2000hp so i'd rather just do it right once and pray i can get a year outta the motor, beating it's ass everyday. lol

Dave =]

• 2 months later...

I may be a little late in responding but I would strongly advise you to reconsider the 20 over. The KA24de is already an over bored motor and if you plan on making 400-500 hp I would NOT bore it out any more than absolutely necessary. Also check out AMS for rods, cheap and rock solid.

I may be a little late in responding but I would strongly advise you to reconsider the 20 over. The KA24de is already an over bored motor and if you plan on making 400-500 hp I would NOT bore it out any more than absolutely necessary. Also check out AMS for rods, cheap and rock solid.

I agree. unless you use shorter con rods to lower compression. Actually, lowering the compression on KAs is ideal on a turbo application.

What fuel management is everybody running with the KA-T?