HybridZ

Anyone use CHI Heads?

rudypoochris

Most of those look like cleveland style heads. They look decent. If Kaase is really running them, they should be good, he is pretty much the king poop in the ford world. Now, cleveland style heads fitted to a windsor will require boss 302 parts on a 302, or custom stuff on a 351. They run pretty awesome, a bit overkill on the street considering they flow enough air to support enough power to split the 302 block naturally aspirated.

Only an assumption, but I believe it is because of the different intake, and perhaps pistons that are needed for these heads. Everything on the top end is different from the normal ubiquitous SBF market support.

Everything above the lifter is different when building a "clevor" engine.(cleveland or boss heads on a windsor block) The pushrods are longer, the water passages are different(unless the head is designed to go on a windsor block) the intake manifold is drastically different, the rocker arms are from a cleveland or 385 series big block(429-460), the valve covers are different, and it is difficult to get headers to fit because the the 302 block is smaller than the cleveland, and the 351w is taller and wider. The pistons are also different due to the large canted valves. A side note on pistons, if you are using a replacement boss piston and not a custom one for longer rods, they are designed to be used with the 5.155" rod which came in the boss 302 and the 289, the standard 302 rod is 5.090".

There are differeces between all of the canted valve heads. While I was waiting on the heads and intake (I bought direct from Jon at CHI), bought a new TRACK BOSS from SP Performance..when the heads showed up, I matched up the TRACK BOSS,. the port centers,and port configurerations are so differeht that I cant even weld the intake up to make it work.The TRACK BOSS was designed to be run on top of the 2bbl. cleveland heads, there is an AUST. 2bbl. head that is considered 'CLOSED CHAMBERED' and was installed only on Aussie fords.I was trying to buy several diffrent intakes to do a dyno test,and it turns out that it's a good thing that I bought the 8.2 intake from CHI. The exhaust side will accept the cleveland or BOSS headers, even though the ports are square. There are a lot of people state side here that run CHI heads, you just don't hear much because they are half a world away. CHI in AUST. is like AFR over here. I don't how much different the designs are with such heads as ELDEBROCK, YATES, BLUE THUNDER, even AFR makes a set of canted vavle heads. But they all have differences due to their research and development. 5.0 mustange magazune, is building 2 late model boss engines, both with different manufactures heads, It's so-so reading but can give some more info. if your interested the the BOSS craze.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit new here but to answer your question on CHI heads, they are the end all of Cleveland heads. A decently built 351 Cleveland with matched 3V heads can easily tear apart both the car that it's in as well as scatter the block. There is ONE other set of heads that scare the bejeebus out of me and they are 4 valve per cylender heads for a Cleveland, but they run $12k for the set.