HybridZ

New to the board and Zcars .Need Diff ID

Guest Z-artist

Guest Z-artist

I recently purchased a 72 240Z V8 transplant, and am trying to identify the rear end. I was looking over the diff list above; but I'm not seeing identifying traits. Can you tell me what came stock ? (through VIN # or visual inspection) Thanks guys!

Guest Z-artist

Maybe I can clarify a bit. I bought my Z car from a guy who bought it from a guy; who bought it from a guy ........... The end result is that I don't have any of the "transplant" info. I dunno if he (the transformer) upgraded the diff when he injected 370 HP in the car. (I would sure think so) But; is there a way to tell by visualization if I'm gonna need to be purchasing a beefed up r200; or if it already has one ? I'm planning on reading as much of the tech articles as is posted; but for now; I'd just like to b e able to plan my budget. Now before you tell me to go out and do a burnout to see if it has limited slip; I should tell you that it's surrounded in a car tent by 2 feet of snow on all sides. Might be a little squirrely

Maybe you can tell us what it is not? Short nose, long nose, heat sink in back, pics...... There is a ton of info on the rear ends in these cars in that search button. Not only will you find yours, you will probly have more of an idea on what you want.

I do understand you wanting to get started, snow is a good chance to practice the reading part of the help offered by HybridZ;).

Guest Z-artist

Here's a few pics. The car is sitting on gravel; and I couldn't get a jack under it; so all I could do is stick my camera under the car with my arm outstretched. :wink:

rear end_thumb.jpg

rear end 2_thumb.jpg

rear end 3_thumb.jpg

rear end 4_thumb.jpg

Guest Z-artist
The only thing I can tell from those pics are that its a R180 diff....

Thanks man! Thats exactly what I needed to know. Now I'll start searching for an R200 out of a Q45.

Guest Z-artist

OK; So I need some help with "value". I found a clean R200 out of a 95' J30 w/ABS sensor for $300. I haven't been a Z car owner but for a week; so I don't know yet whats a good price for this from experience. I want to grab this before anybody else does, unless they are abundant and cheaper elsewhere.

a939_1_thumb.jpg

Guest Z-artist

Well; it looks quite a bit more complicated than this was; but my biggest problem is that I'm not at all familiar with these types of diffs. They are a total "horse of a different color" for me. I've never even known anybody with a Z until now!:icon42: Looks like it's gonna become my new addiction:wink:

If I don't get used to the R200s and 230s; maybe I'll just backhalf the car and put my Dana 60 in it! :nono: (I can't believe I said that)

Dana 4_thumb.jpg

Guest Z-artist

The trouble is....can you find them? Being a Mopar enthusiast for years; the 8.75 Mopar rear end with SureGrip is almost extinct. (Thus the Dana 60 in my Dart)

I'm really hoping that the ZX rear end isn't gonna become like that. :eek:

The trouble is....can you find them? Being a Mopar enthusiast for years; the 8.75 Mopar rear end with SureGrip is almost extinct. (Thus the Dana 60 in my Dart)

I'm really hoping that the ZX rear end isn't gonna become like that. :eek:

If it were hard to find, I would have said more than $100! :icon54:

Guest Z-artist
If you want a factory Clutch type LSD r200, count on atleast $500. If you just want an open r200, like I said, $100 or so. Shoot, I just remember I have a 3.90 r200 if you are interested.

If you don't mind shipping it; I think I might be interested. But being that you are in North Carolina; and I'm in Oregon; I don't blame you if it's a hassle to ship. I actually don't have possesion of the car until the snow melts here. (It's 150 feet from my back door) So; I don't need anything right away if these diffs are abundant.