HybridZ

ZG flares or not???

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the finished product on matt's car. It came out really nice. You really have to be super careful when cutting on a car with good paint, we took a lot of measures to keep sparks off the paint and to keep it from pealing back.

Installing flares properly is alot of work and takes a good amount of time and tools, we put 12 hours into Matt's car this weekend. Thats why Ive always said flares arent for the faint of heart. The flares are pointless if you dont cut, and I personally think they look bad if you don't fill them up but that's just my 2 cents. Installing flares without cutting is like putting a fake hood scoop on your car :rolleyesg. OEM's seem to think this is okay though.

DSC_0012_Large.jpg

I have to admit guys, I was SOUR yesterday night because I had 240hoke cut up a CLEAN CLEAN Arizona car to do my ZGs. So, I figure I would make myself feel better by coming down hard on you psdenno.

No harm done. Glad to hear and see that your project turned out so well. The flares add a nice look to a great Z.

Dennis

Here is the finished product on matt's car. It came out really nice. You really have to be super careful when cutting on a car with good paint, we took a lot of measures to keep sparks off the paint and to keep it from pealing back.

Installing flares properly is alot of work and takes a good amount of time and tools, we put 12 hours into Matt's car this weekend. Thats why Ive always said flares arent for the faint of heart. The flares are pointless if you dont cut, and I personally think they look bad if you don't fill them up but that's just my 2 cents. Installing flares without cutting is like putting a fake hood scoop on your car :rolleyesg. OEM's seem to think this is okay though.

Looks great guys! What size tires are on the 17" Rotas? And where did you track down more welting? ;)

wow looks good!

Austin or anyone who can help, how did you decide on the placement of your flares? do the drill spots have to hit certain parts or the body line? how did you gauge it?

That's the nail biting part of the process. I started by saving as many pictures as I could find of Zs with flares to use for reference. The next step was to figure out which ones went on the front and which on the rear - no LF or RR markings to guide you on which go where.

After that it was a matter of drilling holes on the attachment areas of the flares and then sliding them around on the wheel openings until they looked like the pictures. Use the mount holes in the flares as a template for marking the fenders for drilling.

You can use the bumper indents in the fenders as a general guide as well as the seam between the front fender and the front valance. The horizontal line along the top of the rocker panels is also a good reference point. Tape them in place when you think you have the right location and stand back for a "long" view before drilling.

This is what worked for me and may differ from the method used by others.

Dennis

If you have non-sectioned struts its as simple as lining them up with the stock wheel arch.

If you have sectioned struts you will want to raise them up at least an inch. JohnC cut his flush with the top of the inner fender.

IMO if you raise them too high they will look terrible unless you car is really low.

• 1 month later...