HybridZ

Engine won't start after Swap!!

Guest RedFox

I have a 79 280zx NA 5 spd. I bought an 83 NA that was an automatic. I noticed that there was a washer for the torque converter. I took it off and assembled all the old parts to the new engine. When I put it in the car, everything bolts up just fine but when I try to start it, the car makes a spinning sound that might come from the starter. The engine doesnt even crank. Any ideas???

Does it matter if the engine came from an automatic?? I'm thinkin that the starter cant reach the flywheel cuz i hear the clicking noise and the starter spinning (i think it's spinning) Any ideas??

there is no difference between manual and auto starters.. you did install the flywhieel right? stupid question just thought i would ask though. was your flywheels teeth in good shape? try putting your car in gear and roll it backwards and then try again... if that doesnt work try a new starter

Hey I changed my starter today and I saw the teeth on the flywheel.Kinda chipped due to starter. It looks like the starter is tryin to turn it over but the flywheel wont turn. Is it because I must have tighten it too hard which caused the flywheel to be stuck?? Should i loosen the bolts on the flywheel??

Hey I changed my starter today and I saw the teeth on the flywheel.Kinda chipped due to starter. It looks like the starter is tryin to turn it over but the flywheel wont turn. Is it because I must have tighten it too hard which caused the flywheel to be stuck?? Should i loosen the bolts on the flywheel??

No You should not loosen the bolts

if the starter wont turn the engine over its one of two things.

1. Starter Issue/Flywheel Issue

2. Seized Engine

If the motor is seized all hope is not lost you can pour coca cola in the cylinder the acid in the soda will eat away the rust. But most likely your rings will be screwed and you'll have blowby.

No the cylinder head was rebuilt by the owner who sold me the engine. The engine was in a 280zx that was in a front end damage but the engine was still in good condition. It might be that the engine was sitting for awhile so it might be rusted. My friend told me to hand crank the engine to see if it will turn. Which way do you turn it? counter-clockwise or clockwise?? Also me and my cuzzin tried to move the car but it didnt move much not even a foot.

I got the new starter and slapped it on. the engine was cranking but then the starter and flywheel started grinding together. I just took out the transmission and re-installed the flywheel and and clutch. I would have finished but, it got dark outside so I'm going to finish it tomorow.