HybridZ

Help identifying contents of my engine bay

stayTRUE

Hey,

Bought a 74 260z last weekend. Not running, but straight bodied and nice. A lot of the stuff in the engine bay is kinda gnarly... the PO really had no idea what was going on, we are going through and finding stuff that hints at a certain level of incompetency

It has a 240z engine according to the PO. This seems to check out. What I need to do is ID all the stuff on here because I am not sure if some is from the 260, if all of it is 240, or what. Don't know what year the engine is. Trying to figure out what books to get, what diagrams to look for, etc etc. Thanks for the help!

Click any picture to view it 1280x960

Overall engine bay shot. Can see the carbs, these would be dometops? Is the emissions/vacuum system recognizable as being from any particular year?

m2281339574_b00f465a1f.jpg

N36 intake manifold, any particular year?

2281339924_28183804db.jpg

L24 on engine block. to the right is the SN 187988

2281340250_28a98457d1.jpg

E88 on head

2280549693_017dcba748.jpg

Car

2280550725_5c299bb25a.jpg

Thanks again!

id say get the shop manual to suit your body shell.

you'll inevitably change engine stuff anyway, and if you do, (from what i know of your emissions laws) the dome top 240 carbs are the ones to start with.

there is a huge wealth of knowledge here to help you out with any little bits the manual will be missing.

I would guess that it is a late 71', or 72' motor because of the E88 head. The carbs are round tops which came on 70-72 motors. It could be an L24 from a 73' 240Z with early carbs also. None of this really matters because it looks like you have a good setup for a stock L24. You have the preferred carbs, and the only way to could improve the long block is to put an E31 head on it for a slightly higher compression ratio. Not really worth the effort IMO. Get it running good, drive it, and have fun. I

f you want to modify it, you cam to the right website.

The block looks like a 69 -73, head 71 -73, N36 came only on the 74. The carbs are 69-72 depending if they are 3 or 4 screw. The air cleaner looks to be 73 or 74, most likely 74. All the polution control crap is 74.

Besides the block, head and carbs being different, it looks all like a late 74 to me due to the thick bumpers.

Good info can be found here: http://datsunzgarage.com/

Also lots of info on carbs can be found at http://www.ztherapy.com/

thanks for all the help, guys. gotta get the compression worked out (120-110-105-60-95-160 :confused2) but it did give me hope. hazards won't turn off with the battery hooked up, though...

Carb: 3 or 4 screw, advantage/disadvantage or not?

Smog crap is most likely gonna come off since I don't need it :icon47: thank god for pre-75s....

thanks for the welcome, too, getting a LOT of information from this site. i've been looking into the cars for a couple months before i bought this one last week, my dad has been real surprised with how large a group these draw online.

not to thread jack, but why would someone put a L24 into a 260?

My thought, engine blew and PO got a deal on an L24 to save money from a rebuild.

yep, that's what we've been told

My sincere thanks to everyone that responded. We are having a good time working on this car, so far so good. I'm helping stayTRUE get this on the road.

Looks like we got an L24 with 3 screw carbs, and the L26/ '74 intake along with the air pump and factory AC. Means some fun with timing marks but that is another thread.

All things considered, some elbow grease has uncovered a fairly intact car and we look forward to being part of the community here. Kind of reminds me of working on my old FJ40's so far.

Thanks a bunch.