HybridZ

rod length and stroker engines

madkaw

I am gathering parts for a cheap stroker. I have a diesel crank lined up and I have 240z rods from a 9/71. I am working on getting a 280 block. I have been reading my "how to modify your Datsun" and I need a little help deciphering some info :hs:. I know the 9mm rods are prefered and the real early 240 rods are only 8mm. I read threads where some use the 260 rods in their stokers and others just say 240 rods. So if I was going to just make a 2.9 stroker, no over bore, would I need the shorter rods from a 260z? I realize that pin height is a factor but I couldn't find info on the KA 24 pistons mentioned on the threads to compare to stock pistons pin height. It seems that the longer 240 rods would put the stock piston to high in the block. Am I even close to making sense or do I need to back and study. I really have searched but that only complicates my dislexia issues. I also have a line on a 260 block so I want to figure this out before it disappears.

I have those LD28-rods now machined and I will put them on my N42-block.

The bore will be 87mm because I have Wiseco forged pistons that size.

Now I have pic of those pistons and there is mark of how much will the pin height be. Those aren't machined yet.

That mark which is below is the 26mm pin height and that mark on top is where they will be machined.

P224000111_thumb.jpg

I have been educating myself thanks to the helpful links from you guys-thanks! The "how to modify" book shows 9mm rods were in 2.4s after 5/71 but I have read on the sites that they were in later years-like exclusively in the 73 model. The zhome site says that the 9mm are also lighter then the 8mm that is why they are prefered. Is there a way to tell just by looking at the rods or do you just need to measure rod bolt? Any testaments to what month/year you got your 9mm rods from?