HybridZ

Just bought a T56 but...

Guest Jason

The guy at the junkyard claimed it had everything but the slave cylinder. When I looked at it, It was also missing the clutch fork, and that thing that mates the splined shaft to the driveshaft.

I think the Z-car fumes were getting to me, so I ended up paying $1200 for just a 96 tranny, bellhousing, and shifter. At least I can return it within a year...

Did I pay too much money? I have no idea how much the rest of the parts cost or even exactly what else I need, but f-bodyparts quoted $1350+shipping for everything including a used flywheel and clutch. For $1500 I could even get the floor pan, slave and pedals. Of course they said that a month ago and have yet to sell me one.

Also, I can shift into all 6 forward gears, but cannot find reverse. Is there some electronic lockout or special trick to this?

-Jason

Guest Locutus

The clutch fork is 63 bucks, the only place I could get it from was a GM dealer, You also need to check for the swivel the clutch fork rests on, a bracket(its basically a spacer) that fits betweent the bell housing and the slave cylinder, Oh and the biggie the bell housing, its a kewl 260 from GM. Mike Kelly and the parts guy at GM did wonders to help me identify all the parts I would need. Email me and I will give you the run down on all the little parts and how much they cost.

Mike

I already have the bellhousing. If those parts are only available at the dealer, I'll lug the tranny over there and see what they say.

I found reverse. Had to really jam it to the side. I guess it just takes some getting used to.

[This message has been edited by Jason (edited August 29, 2000).]

I need the shaft that cgoes from the tranny to the driveshaft too. All in all I don't think you did too badly. Sure the other place could've sold you one more complete for not much more but then they didn't actually ship one did they? Hell, free would've been nice but if it never shipped it wouldn't matter much (shrug).

Ya' got one, be happy! You paid close to the going rate and need a few parts - par for the course it seems. I got lucky and got nearly everything except the piece out of the trans tailshaft but then I paid more than you did too. Congrats on a good purchase!

Guest Locutus

Are you talking about the part of the drive shaft that slides onto the Tranny or otherwise know as the yoke I believe? If that is all you need to do is find a yoke from a car or truck that has a turbo 400 in it(Mike Kelly can verify this for me he is the T-56 expert) It shouldn't be to hard to find one for a pretty inexpensive price

Mike

Yeah - yoke (duh - I knew that!). Thanks for the tip on th eyoke - MUCH appreciated!

Morgan nice prices. Ask them how much it costs with a bellhousing, shifter, flywheel, slave cylinder, and yoke. I'm betting you're seeing bare trannys at those prices. Don't forget shipping either - those mothers are heavy!

As for the option codes - there are two, maybe three, different T56s. The oldest ones have a lower 6th gear - .8 I think. The next youngest has a .5 6th, and the very latest is LS1 specific. If I had to guess you're seeing the earlier two transmissions. I've got a .5 overdrive as the .8 seems kind of useless to me :-)

Yea, that yoke is from a Turbo400 and you can get it at any driveline shop, or check with Flaming River or hit the salvage yards... Mine cost me about $60 and was a spicer unit. The driveline shop I used has since gone out of business, but was a spicer dealer and all their stuff was top notch!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Owen, if you are referring to shift forks, I've read a few articles lately that quote T56s with forged shift forks to be stiffer and stronger than the stock (cast?) forks. Anybody know how much they cost?

As far as clutch forks, I don't know.

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited August 31, 2000).]

Originally posted by Morgan:

I just did a quick junkyard check..... found 2 for $1k even. What are option codes m28 and m29? Different gear ratios or something?

Jeeeeezzz, if I could get a '95+ Lt1 T56 for $1k US complete I'd be on it like flies on sh*t, they're almost double that at least up around here...are most of you running the newer style crank so it's all bolt up? If not that conversion is spendey on it's own. That was one factor in jumping on the '98 350 I 'upgraded' to from my 327 was just knowing if I got a T56 deal someday it'd be bolt on.

Guest Locutus

I have an old style crank, but centerforce makes a flywheel just for this case, it is a billet flywheel and since you should be considering a stock upgrade anyway, I didn't figure it to be a big deal

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I just installed my T56 with a clutch pressure plate release bearing and 12lb aluminum fly wheel all from SLP. Motor revs really quick and does not bog of the line. It should be a ball after I get the 4th gear synchro matter fixed. Mark

Mark, let us know how the flywheel works out - was it super expensive?

Ross - I'm not replacing mine but in the long run I may. If you've ever seen a clutch blow you'll understand why - th ebellhousing goes liek paper. Remember - we set these motors pretty far back and that the Datsun sheetmetal won't stop the bits or hardly slow them. Over time, and especially with high revs and heat, the flywheel can begin to get weak. When it's time goes it can be pretty spectacular or go with a wimper if you're lucky. Many folks prefer to play it safe and those who've seen the results of an explosion play it safest of all!

I knew a guy who owned a Z 10 years ago. He claimed that during a race the flywheel bolts lets go. He stated that the wheel came out of the car in it's entirety, zipped through the bellhousing, and went skipping down the road throwing sparks everywhere like a buzzsaw. I've always discounted that story but it's pretty scary if it contains even a grain of truth...

Many of oyu might know this allready, but Norm from zcar.com had his clutch explode while dragging. His car was a stock SU'd, 2.9L that ran high 12's. Anyway, I saw the pictures after and the clutch did some NASTY stuff to his floorpans, bellhousing, etc. Could have lost a foot easily.

Consider a flywheel doing the same thing at 6000rpm and you'll want to put in a bit more protection there! I'd suggest 1/8"-1/4" plate welded around the underside of the trans tunnel (on the body) at the very least, if you are revving the hell out of your engine.

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

I don't feel I knowingly sacrific safety. If it's a known weak link then sure replace it. I just hadn't come across that yet and having run with 26 members of team nwfbody 2 wks ago at the drags as well as being part of their online list I just figured I'd of heard of that as a weak link by know with some of the hardrun setups they're pushing including a few superchargers/roadracers etc. Now my curiousity is peaked and I'll be running it by them. Almost sounds like a good candidate for cryotreating if one were to stay with a steel one. I know I"ve always been interested in a tranny blanket if that was a risk, that and a driveshaft loop so I never have to fear doing a polevault at 120+mph (most hear running that loop ?)

PS sure enjoy the 'straight' shooting info being posted on all forums:-)