HybridZ

My (simple) Solution for mounting extra gauges...

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. I've been testing the different A-pillar gauge mounts that are supposed to work in a S30 (with modification) and just wasn't pleased with the fit.

Instead, I came up with a simple panel that I mounted in place of the glovebox. Total cost on it is somewhere around $7.00. Took me about an hour to measure, cut and drill and then overnight for the vinyl glue to set up.

Allows me to have 4 2 1/16 gauges that aren't regularly needed to be mounted where I can still see them from the drivers seat with the glove box door open. Also still had enough room to mount my MSD window switch. The plan is to locate my nitrous switches below the window switch, so everything can be buttoned up and out of sight.

Thoughts/criticisms?

Front:

DSC04390.JPG

Back:

DSC04389.JPG

Nice! I've thought about doing the same, but I've always wondered if these gauges could be that useful.

I think for it to be fully useful, you'd need to have memory warning gauges that would shine a different color when something is wrong. I just think these are too out of the way to allow for a quick glance to know if somethings up.

Let me know how it is with it actually in your car! I might still do something similar...

Mario

yea i have been going thur the same thing about mounting gauges, looked at a bunch of a pillar ,as of last nite i was looking at the heating panel as i will proably not need it here in las vegas as this is not a dd. on one of big plils video i thought i saw an a pillar on his car , anyone know were he got it

Mario:

The gauges that I put in there are, for the most part, not going to be quick glance gauges - the exception is the AFR gauge. The bottom right is a D-pic, almost like a g-meter; the nitrous and volts shouldn't be spiking and the window switch is a set it and forget it thing.

My dash should be back from the upholstery shop in a week or so, so I can actually mount it up in the correct position. I've been using an old dash that I had laying around to mock it up.

Thanks for the comments.

Bryan

Nice. However I need the heater/AC controls so I sacraficed the radio. I mounted the Megaview display panel that scrolls through tons of parameters. It's like 30 gauges in one. The only problem is that it takes a few minutes to scroll all the gauges. You can stop it on two or three gauges if you want. It also flashes the numbers if they are out of range.

154178236_MaNUZ-L.jpg

Dave:

Man, I really like that megaview. I can't go back and spend more money, but that looks like the ultimate. I've seen some of the guys who have removed their HVAC and radio controls on the 240. I'm going to be keeping both - my A/C is controlled by the stock looking panel (datsun cable control on the Hotrod Air system) and the radio is a flip face cd/mp3 so it shouldn't stand out too much.

All that said, I really like your solution.

Bryan

Bryan, I have two questions: 1) What is the "color" composed of? I know it's black, but it almost looks like cloth instead of paint...but then again, maybe I have blurred vision. Vinyl? 2) Does the setup directly emulate the glove box like an exact fit? It's just difficult to tell when it's separate from the dash. If so, that rocks! The fact that you'll tie the whole thing together with upholstery makes it even better.

Davy

Davy:

It's a black vinyl that I purchased on ebay to redo the vinyl below the door. I had enough left over to cover this as well.

It does emulate the glove box, using the screws on the edge of the glove box rim to bolt up.

then again, maybe I have blurred vision.

Ha! That's not your eyes...that's my blood sugar dropping and making me shake....took me 5 minutes to get a few good shots...Time for some orange juice!

Bryan

Brian,

Looks great!!!

Guess what I got today?

My 383+ (.040 over:) stroker, fully forged, full roller, balanced and blueprinted, TFS heads, 100 shot direct port, gear driven cam etc, and it only cost me, well uh nevermind.

Too bad my car is still in the garage and on stands, soon....soon