HybridZ

Snapped an axle

OK.. '72 240Z. I just rebuilt the carbs (ZTherapy rebuild) car is running great, strong and fast. Im haulin a bit pushing her, did 105...then relaxed went back into town. Now this is where it gets crazy. Im going about 25 when I here a clanking noise. I instantly hit the clutch and pulled over. I slowly released the clutch, same noise car does not move. It sounds exactly the same as it did when I blew the rearend out of my Tahoe. So I figure it is the rear end or the driveline (u joint) didnt even stop to think the car is independent rear suspension. So I call a tow truck get it home (100$) and jack it up. The passenger side axle is loose from the back of the wheel housing, sitting there on the lower A-arm. ?WTF? So I take off the tire and look into the CV part of the axle, there is the broken off shaft of my axle. So I removed the 4 bolts and put penetrating oil on it to get it apart.

So heres my question to the guru's... why did it happen and how hard is it to put a new axle piece in there? it looks like only maybe 6 inches long?and is it the same as a 76 280z? theres one at the local junkyard. :cry2:and no Im not running a V8 just a stock L24! :cry:

Ahh you snapped the stub axle, common problem from what I hear. Get a 280z axle to replace it, search "stub axle", there is a lot of info. The 280z axles are stronger and have 27 splines instead of 25 that the 240z featured. Just remember to get the flange as well for the half shaft side.

is it the same as a 76 280z? theres one at the local junkyard. :cry2:and no Im not running a V8 just a stock L24! :cry:

If you go to the junkyard and get the inner, outer pieces and the spacer for both sides you will be fine, they will work (the spacer is 2" long and has a letter stamped on it). Make sure to check for a letter 'A', 'B' or 'C' on the outside of the housing (were the stub axle goes through) then use the spacer that has the matching letter.

The stub axle may be a commonly broken part on high HP cars (400+ hp and tq at the wheels) but is very rare in predominantly stock Z's, I would do some investigating as to why it broke if it were my car.

Dragonfly

• 2 weeks later...

like someone said earlier. common in 240's. i have seen plenty in stock 240's break.

watch for the thin washer if you are installing a 240 axle again. it can get lost if the axle breaks. and if you dont know it was ever there you might leave it out. 280's didnt use this washer only 240's.

so its a set 240 axle ,washer, sleeve, and flange

or 280 axle ,sleeve ,and flange ...no washer

Why is the companion flange empty?

Shouldn't the splined/threaded portion of the stubaxle still be inside there, or did you deflange it/remove it/ partially reassemble for photos?

I don't see the threaded end on the stubaxle where your nut goes, so I'm assuming that is the scenario.

Kameari makes nice pieces to replace these as well.....$$$

Why is the companion flange empty?

Shouldn't the splined/threaded portion of the stubaxle still be inside there, or did you deflange it/remove it/ partially reassemble for photos?

I don't see the threaded end on the stubaxle where your nut goes, so I'm assuming that is the scenario.

Kameari makes nice pieces to replace these as well.....$$$

It is snapped off and inside the housing. nothing disassembled in the pictures yet.

like someone said earlier. common in 240's. i have seen plenty in stock 240's break.

watch for the thin washer if you are installing a 240 axle again. it can get lost if the axle breaks. and if you dont know it was ever there you might leave it out. 280's didnt use this washer only 240's.

so its a set 240 axle ,washer, sleeve, and flange

or 280 axle ,sleeve ,and flange ...no washer

Which washer are you speaking of? the one that goes under the retaining bolt at the end of the stub

axle or one that goes somewhere else?

'

My new axle from Z Barn should be here today......washer...now you've got me worried