HybridZ

240Z EFI Sump Fuel Tank Bolt-In!!

S30TRBO

So you want to convert your 240Z to EFI but you don't want to spend the big money on a fuel cell and lose your spare tire well. Looking for a complete bolt in process using your stock tank straps and hardware for less than paying yourself or someone else's labor and material please read below:

List:

1.) Purchased a 240Z fuel tank from Z Barn.

2.) Z Barn shipped direct to Moyer Fuel Tank Renu in Greensburg, PA.

3.) Fuel tank reconditioned inside and out.

4.) Baffles installed.

5.) Surge tank built and installed.

6.) (2) 1/2" pipe thread supply ports added.

7.) (2) 1/2" pipe thread return ports added with internal piping to guide fuel back to the surge tank.

8.) Left side vent delete.

9.) Drain plug delete.

Price Breakdown:

~Used 240Z Gas Tank $100

~Moyer (labor,material,shipping) $420

Total: $520

My turnaround time: 3 weeks (will vary)

6022112387.jpg

6022112557.jpg

602211239.jpg

More Pics: http://www.putfile.com/album/179413

Special thanks goes to Bryan (dat240zg) and his thread that inspired me.

I was planning on sacrificing an old oil pan sump to do the same thing with my 280Z tank.. I even considered setting up my second FUEL warning light* on my 75 280Z to function SOLELY on the sump, heh...

Looks great! Nice to know it shouldn't cost too much to get the intermediate steps that I can't do myself (the welding etc) taken care of.

Minor threadjack, does anyone know what kind of metal is the tank made of (steel I presume) and, are the oilpans the same type of metal, or am I boned on that idea?

*I have no idea why I have two fuel warning lights; neither worked during the entire time I DD'd the car.. one is at the top of the center control area above all the HVAC controls, and one is down in the center console just below the stereo

• 2 months later...

Welding the bottom of an oilpan onto your tank works great as a very cheap way to make a sump, and looks pretty good too! Theres no problem welding on it either, the tank is steel.

Just be careful... you're welding a gas tank, so do everything you can to make sure there are no fumes in there!

Danny,

I have a local number after speaking to them. It sounds like it won't be a problem he is just worried about shipping cost.

Anyways, ask for Joe 724-836-4680

BTW did you try this:

It has been brought to my attention that I have missed some e-mail messages. Due to the enormous amount of SPAM I receive it is becoming more and more difficult to quickly answer your inquires. Please add GAS TANK to your subject: line to help me sort the good from the nonsense. If you do not receive a response within 48 hours' date=' please send again and put SECOND REQUEST in the subject line. Thank you.[/quote']

• 2 weeks later...

Technically, isn't that just sump? A surge tank is a small, separate tank that's fed by a low pressure pump, and then the EFI pump feeds off the bottom of the surge tank.

You can buy premade sumps from summitracing.com. There used to be someone on here who was making really nice low profile (you don't want the bottom of the fuel tank to be too low!) sumps specifically for 240's. I don't know if he's still making them though. I have one on my Z...

Nigel

Has anyone used another location to get this done? I searched on their site and found they are part of a company http://www.gastankrenu.com and looks like they have locations all over the US. I live in CA and a shipping cost to PA would suck, but it seems a couple of places are located in CA. Should be able to get the same stuff done right?

Technically, isn't that just sump? A surge tank is a small, separate tank that's fed by a low pressure pump, and then the EFI pump feeds off the bottom of the surge tank.

You can buy premade sumps from summitracing.com. There used to be someone on here who was making really nice low profile (you don't want the bottom of the fuel tank to be too low!) sumps specifically for 240's. I don't know if he's still making them though. I have one on my Z...

Nigel

Yes, that is a sump.

• 6 months later...

Yes, that is a sump.

Correct you both are.. my bust. Thread title has been changed I had a brain fart.

Thanks,