HybridZ

rear wheel bearings

bobbyc

is there an inspection process for rear wheel bearings? i took my whole rearend out for new brake and fuel lines, and then decided to powdercoat it all while it was apart. so bearings are out...but we are moving and i need to be able to tow it... i don't really want to spend ~$200 on new bearings...these pass visual inspection and there isn't any play...is there really any reason to repace other than i have it apart right now?

is there an inspection process for rear wheel bearings? i took my whole rearend out for new brake and fuel lines, and then decided to powdercoat it all while it was apart. so bearings are out...but we are moving and i need to be able to tow it... i don't really want to spend ~$200 on new bearings...these pass visual inspection and there isn't any play...is there really any reason to repace other than i have it apart right now?

I'd clean them up and spin them by hand and see if you feel any sandy feeling or grinding when they spin. If so replace them. They're kind of a pain to get to so I'd be inclined to replace them anyway, but I understand not wanting to shell out the money for them too. They aren't cheap!

As I am currently doing the rear bearings while painting all the suspension, I found that when I jacked up the car there was an actual knock or clunk when I shook the tire. With axles disconnected and no brakes touching, they should rotate smoothly and not make any noise or spin too easily. It was pulling the outer bearings from the stub axles that sucked, but not too bad. ;) Do it now while it's apart, new parts with a good, high pressure synthetic grease should make them last for a long time.

You can get bearings with seals for both sides for about $145 from Parts America.

I've helped couple people with rear end vibration. When spinning bearing by hand you will want to be at a parts store to compare the feeling with the new one. Even the SLIGHTEST variation in the bearing can result in vibration in the car under load. Just a fyi.

rockauto.com...thanks a ton!! its like 108 shipped for all rear wheel bearings...at that price i can't pass it up...that's like 60-70 less than autozone for the same pieces..exact same brand!

Yea I know. I got genuine Timken bearings for my R200, the ones that are usually $60 PER SIDE at Kragen and others for around $33. Makes a big difference.