HybridZ

stroker but need more

roughridin89

hey, i have a 78 280z with a couple month old engine. Its bored out to 3.1L, new cam, pistons, crank, head,.....all new. I recently took it out to the track and was expecting much more then what i got. Im a little straped for cash now so i was wondering what people think i should add for the most horsepower. Ive heard many things such as rising rate fule pressure regulater, electric water pump(which would only add a few) and ovcourse NOS, but i rather not mess with that so any suggestions would be great.

Not sure what to make of this post. Can you specify what you have in more detail? It looks like a bone stock Z should run a low 17 sec 1/4 mile, so something doesn't seem right.

Sounds like you're using stock FI with a camshaft... that might be a place to start.

ook heres everything i added in the new engine

big bore kit

p90 heads

3 angle valve job

stage 3 performance cam set

f54 l28 block

89mm flat top pistons

240z rods

ld28 maxima crank

comprtition head gasket

new bearings new gasket set

new oil pump

new water pump

new timing chin set

coated 3-2-1 header

new injectors

performance flywheel

inlarged throttle body

and a cold air intake

also a performance clutch

Reminds me of this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=89812

I see two things that stand out right away. Your cam is too small, and the stock FI can't deal with a cam that's big enough to get the most out of what you have there.

Other than that if you're thinking your driving isn't the best it might be a good idea to take it to a dyno and see what it is actually doing. You can see where the air/fuel ratios are, and what kind of power it is putting out now. Although results vary from dyno to dyno this would still be useful info to have, especially if you changed something and then went back and compared the results.

it will help a LOT. the stock efi system is just that. it's stock. it can't make adjustments on its own, and if you change anything in the engine (boring it, bigger cam, turbo etc) the ecu is stupid and basically your car won't run like it should. i think you NEED to megasquirt your car to be able to get the power that the stock system is stealing.

• Administrators

Uhm yeah, that is stock slow. What was your MPH?

I’ve seen un touched L-28 powered 280-Z’s running mid to high 16’s in the mid to high 80 MPH range.

For what its worth, a “dialed in” bone stock low compression N/A L-28 with the stock L-28 cam, stock EFI and stock throttle valve, ran 14.4 sec @ 97 MPH, in my ’75 280 that weighed 2800 lbs with me and half tank of gas. It did have a header, recurved ignition, light flywheel, and over 3 years of “dialing it in”. I’d expect a stroker with cam, headers, etc to run at least mid to low 15’s, though mid to low 14’s is attainable.

If you are using the stock ECU, one thing that stands out as mismatched is the stock ECU and performance cam. The stock ECU does NOT play well with big cams. Best bet is to keep the cam and step up to aftermarket EFI to make use of that cam and get rid of the AFM from the air steam. That and making sure you are able to run between 34-36 degrees total ignition timing will more than likely get you where that motor should be running, which is a lot better than it is now.

By the way, what is your total mechanical advance right now? By that I mean, with the engine is at say 3500-400 RPM, vacuum advance disconnected, how much advance is there? Max power will be 34-36 degrees. That 34-36 degrees should be in by no more than 3000 RPM, more like 2500 rpm or so. If you don’t have a dial-back-to-zero timing light to verify this, typically having the stock distributor set at between 15-17 degrees advance at idle, vs the stock 10-12 degrees is ball park, so long as the mechanical flyweights are working and allowing the timing to advance as RPMS rise. If the engine rattles/pings at this timing setting with pump gas, then your comp ratio is too high and possibly mixture is little lean, as such you'll have to back timing out till it doesn’t rattle anymore, which will be giving up power that engine is capable of producing.

Good luck,

Paul

i think for now you should just dyno it to see where the power is now, then scrap all the stock ecu components and megasquirt it. iirc just putting a bigger cam into a stock engine will cause it to not run like it should because the ecu has no way to compensate for the change.

• Administrators

I need to back up. Sorry about that.

As Jon mentioned above, first off verify your timing and AFR’s are in check using a dyno. That will give you a good solid baseline for verifying if changes in tuning either improved or hurt, and where those improvements were made or lost.

If your timing and AFR’s are not in check, just throwing parts at it won’t help. Tune tune tune… That is how I get a BONE stock, 8.1: compression L-28 in 2800 lbs Z car with stock EFI, stock throttle stock cam, to run 14.4 @ 97. It took me 3 years of tuning, but for a stock L-28, it ran REALLY well, and even got 28 MPG on the freeway!

Again, take it to a dyno and verify AFRs are correct and you are getting adequate ignition timing, (34-36 degrees btdc) by 3000 RPM and up.

ooo my bad i was thinking u were talking about ram air yea ofcourse forced induction would work but would that be good for the engine since the engine is high compression and a turbo or supercharger is not

What compression are you at? From what I read that would be mid-high 8's ( I think) which is still ok for F.I. Along with Braap and jmortensen, I would then look at the intake manifold next. The stock EFI one is the next restriction.