HybridZ

1981 280zx non turbo flywheel bolt up in a 1988 300zx nonturbo

bumble zee

Did some research, found nothing but more questions, and part numbers. Asked on Zcar.com, but I seem to have attracted the douche bag purists that just want to tell me how that question is stupid.

Will a 80's 280zx non turbo flywheel bolt up to a 80's 300zx non turbo crank? If not, does anyone know the dimension or bolt pattern difference?

The reason I ask is because I am helping my brother convert his 88 300zx from a auto to a manual. He bought a donor car and was told engine and trans are in good shape. Well the flywheel has a nice gash around the inner part of where the clutch rides, dont know if turning it will get it out. But I have a pile of 280zx flywheels that I am not using... Thus the question.

Did some research, found nothing but more questions, and part numbers. Asked on Zcar.com, but I seem to have attracted the douche bag purists that just want to tell me how that question is stupid.

Will a 80's 280zx non turbo flywheel bolt up to a 80's 300zx non turbo crank? If not, does anyone know the dimension or bolt pattern difference?

The reason I ask is because I am helping my brother convert his 88 300zx from a auto to a manual. He bought a donor car and was told engine and trans are in good shape. Well the flywheel has a nice gash around the inner part of where the clutch rides, dont know if turning it will get it out. But I have a pile of 280zx flywheels that I am not using... Thus the question.

Wait a minute, you have both the 280 and the 300 flywheel in front of you, and you cant tell if they are the same or not???????

I'm confused now.

The 300 is at my parents, and is my brothers... I live 6 miles away.. I keep forgetting to bring a 280 flywheel over there... But this question in void now. Turns out the scaring on the flywheel was just a oil residue... So it came right off and the flywheel turned nice. So thanks anyway.

No. The L-series flywheel will not bolt on to an VG-series crankshaft. The bolt mounting flanges of the flywheels are not the same and the method of centering the flywheel with respect to the crankshaft is different.

I did not measure to determine if the bolt pattern was the same. If it is the same, then you might be able to machine the flywheel so it would fit.