HybridZ

Installing 130 MPH speedo...goodbye 85 MPH

hughdogz

I had to trace down some wires behind the instrument cluster for the coolant temp sensor and Tachometer. I got one of those "while I'm at it" to upgrade the speedometer. :wink:

First of all, it wasn't easy to remove the cluster. It wouldn't come out since the factory must have installed it before the vinyl glue for the dash was set. I just trimmed away at the seam until it came out.

Next you have to release the connectors from the PCB. After what seemed like hours, I figured out those latch-clips aren't doing any retaining. You just have to pull REALLY, REALLY hard in order to get those connectors off. :icon53:

The '79 speedo is quite a bit different than the '82:

-The '82 has six digits for the odometer, while the '79 has only five.

-There is a micro-switch on the '82 that senses the odometer (maybe for a maintenance idiot light?) that the '79 doesn't have.

-The 0 MPH stop uses a "lever" at the top of housing on the '79, while the '82 uses a pin at 0 MPH on the gage face.

-The speed sensor on the '79 has a short pigtail and is mounted on the rear of the housing. The '82 speed sensor is mounted where the 0 MPH stop "lever" is at the top of the housing.

Here is how I made it work:

Since the '79 speed sensor may not work, and the pigtail is definitely too short, I used the '82 speed sensor. The '79 0 MPH stop and the '82 speed sensor cannot be mounted in the same place, so I removed the '79 stop and put the '82 speed sensor in it's place. Next, I drilled a 7/64 inch hole in the '79 face to accept the '82 stop pin.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that the speed sensor is only used for a seat belt warning light, or "Bitchin Betty" to notice that the "Parking Brake is ON"

Anyhoo, I searched and didn't find any how-to info, so I thought this might help another non-1979 S130 owner doing the swap.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or if you can vouch for this method.

Thanks, -hughdogz

what i did i used the 83 thing where the temp ,gas and rpm is at .sorry dont know what its called.i opened it up and took out the 85mph with the millege motor thing that conects to that black wire that spins,for your speed and put the one from a 79 no electrical wires needed for it

Hey, I appreciate the follow-up 83zed owner.

It sounds like you didn't keep the speed sensor then. On my '82, there are four electrical connections on the speedo, three of which go to the backside of the instrument cluster printed circuit board (PCB).

Red and green with black stripe wires are for the odometer sensor, and green and yellow with black stripe are for the speed sensor. These all connect to the PCB except for the green with black stripe, which goes into a bullet connector in the main harness.

I'm curious...does your voice warning system still work for the e-brake and doors at speed?

Someday I'll get autometer gages and make my own cluster like Guy did on his 80LT1. :icon14:

Hey, I appreciate the follow-up 83zed owner.

It sounds like you didn't keep the speed sensor then. On my '82, there are four electrical connections on the speedo, three of which go to the backside of the instrument cluster printed circuit board (PCB).

Red and green with black stripe wires are for the odometer sensor, and green and yellow with black stripe are for the speed sensor. These all connect to the PCB except for the green with black stripe, which goes into a bullet connector in the main harness.

I'm curious...does your voice warning system still work for the e-brake and doors at speed?

Someday I'll get autometer gages and make my own cluster like Guy did on his 80LT1. :icon14:

the voice thing only works with stock factory radio ?? i never had a voice scence i have a alpine stereo in there

Some like the voice warning system, some don't. It's saved me many times with the e-brake, doors and headlights! :nono:

It isn't hooked into the stock stereo or the fuel injection system or ignition system. I have a Blaupunkt CD player and a Wolf3D engine management and Betty is still bitchin. :-P

I thought that the voice warning system used the center dash speaker, but I'm not 100% on that. You can replace the speaker and the VWS still works. It's on a circuit all it's own and the record player (seriously, you can hear it spin) is in the passenger rear strut tower.

I'am soooo jealous!!! Thanks for tips, how much for the speedo? I'll bet that speed sensor is for crurise. Wonder if there is a mod so I can set the limit above 75mph?

There is a guy on ebay that has been selling the 130 MPH for years...clicky

I think you're right about the speedo sensor being used by the cruise control. Now that I think about it, the seatbelt sensors are in the seat and the latch...I'm not sure it has anything to do with the speed sensor.

Since my cruise control stopped working a couple years ago, and I removed the contollers, all I cared about was the voice warning.

I think the speed sensor is for Cruise control and speed related voice warnings. (door is open, E-Brake etc) And you can replace the radio and apparently the center speaker but as long as the wiring is there there and a speaker i guess the VWS works. Also I have a 130MPH gauge for sale cheap (just what I got it at the yard for), the speed needle is broken but you can just glue it back on

so the 4 wires conecting to the speedo are for cruise control???i really dont care about cruise control never used it or will never use it anyways.

all i know is that that check light that checks water,stop lights,washer fluid and etc still works and all my door lights,fuel light,e-brakestill work, i would try to install it and if betty dont work anymore. reinstall the old 85mph back on.

FYI giuy:

the two wires attached to the odometer trip the O2 sensor light....

I replaced my '83ZXT's 85 mph speedo w/a '79 unit and replaced the speed sensor. This was all done when I switched to analog instruments and manual air (nothing wrong w/the A/C system, but didn't want all the hassle in the future).