HybridZ

Fuel cell venting help

Well ive vented my fuel cell the roll over vent through a plug in the spare tire aera . Ive sealed it from the inside of the car problem is my garage smells like gas in the morning .

Is this normal or shold i restrict the vent some how . Rite now its just a dash 8 an line with no filter or anything on the end of it just a open ended hose about 3 feet long .

Ive even thought of venting it behind the Z emblem near the rear quarte window but want to get rid of the gas smell how do i get rid of the smell ?

Jason

I guess i should mention i have a supercharger no vacuum ports what so ever but one thank god for the power booster for the brakes . Ive even made my z look " non catalytic converter " as i converted mine from the donar car meaning i found a z that didnt come with a cat so certain parts are missing of course . Being that its a 383 sbc alot of stock parts are missing .

Jason

I've got the same issue. I was looking for a small charcoal canister to vent to and then run the other line to the intake to pull the fuel vapors out of the canister once the car is started.

There may be another way but I don't know of what it might be. I'm interested in seeing what pops up here, cause my garage is STINKY.

Is there a loop in the line? I mean a complete 360 turn of the vent line and then run out to the outside?

It really needs to have this loop for rollover safety, and it does help cut down on the fuel smell a bit as well. Third gen F-body in certain years use a filter for this. I don't recall the exact details, but I can get specifics.

Wouldnt this cause a "problem" if you had a backfire ?

Yeah that's why there's usually a charcoal canister or other flame arresting device inline.

The vent without a loop is just that a vent. It's the loop, that turns at least 360 degrees (some people like 720), and then the line running out the bottom of the floor, with the end of that vent tube being below the bottom of the fuel cell that makes it a roll over anti-spill tube.

I'll try and find that third gen f-body filter information.

Here's all the info I have on the filter. The picture that was with the thread is now gone, otherwise I'd show that too.

Yeah thats the fuel tank vent valve,

There are two numbers, one for single and one for dual exhaust

single #10033124

dual #10033125

GM part numbers BTW, from a GM tech.

Most Fuel cells have those types of vents, the question is how do you keep your garage from smelling while keeping the security of the rollover vent. The roll over vent alow the cell to breathe, but in the event of a rollover shut the flow of fuel off.

I didn't think about the loop in the line, or the fact that it needs to end up being below the fuel cell in case the car ends up, upside down.

Another note, I HAD my vent tube just pressed on the vent w/ no hose clamp and just routed the line outside the car, it was around the level of the bottom of the cell. Anyway, I filled the tank to the TOP and all was fine untill the tank set in the sun and the gas started expanding! IT ran out the vent tube for a while, then the fuel relaxed the vent line and it slipped off the vent and it when I found out this was happening it was but barely burbling out of the vent and lukily running around the cell and hardly any fuel go into the car.

I only post this to let you know, cause I didn't, how important it is to have this stuff sorted out and hooked up correctly. I got lucky that the garage was open, and that I even noticed it and was able to get everything cleaned up w/ little dramma!

For me, this is a really good discussion. Keep it up fellas.

I used a one way check valve on mine like used on motorcross bike tanks. It has a small ball bearing inside that close when pressure trys to escape but allows air into the tank. It does allow a small amount of air to leak past, only closes fully as the pressure increases. Like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FREE-P-P-6-Algarde-Non-return-check-valve-koi-pond_W0QQitemZ120229587937QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3212QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well my fuel cell has a roll over vent installed its just getting rid of the vapors that bugs me so im going to try to put a charcoal filter on the end of the hose from the rollover vent to see what happens .

Im thinking of " clogging up " the hole to a point but yet leaving it to where it could vent if pressure built up .

Speaking of gas running out the vent i was at the gas staition filled up the tank put the cap on it and i guess the pressure of me putting the cap on made the vent hose turn into a syphon hose and promptly lost about a half gallon of gas on the ground .

Jason