HybridZ

DIFF SWAP FROM ACURA???

MYRON

I was driving back to Conroe this saturday

and got beside a 18 wheeled car carrier full

of new Lexus's or Acura's. I am looking up at the bottom of what looks like their new hi-po sedan, I cant think of the model. I have seen on this forum people talking about swapping the diff out, Is it the SC400 or something else that I am thinking of???

Myron

Guest Anonymous

Myron,

You may be thinking of the R230 from an Infiniti Q45. It is the same diff found in TT Z32s although I am not sure of the gear ratio.

Mark Icard is running one in his first generation Z.

Chris

There are no rear drive Acuras (except for the SUVs).

Seems like any part from a Lexus would be butt-stinky expensive.

What would be ideal is to find a rear drive, narrow track CV jointed car that is fairly plentiful and has a strong, LSD.

Older 3 and 5 series bimmers are very plentiful for instance. How about Supras? I can't really think of any others though.

Just checked with a friend of mine who specializes in Fords and owns and 8 second mustang and has owned several super coups. He said that the IRS that came in the Thunderbird would not withstand much over 250HP. 300 would make the rear a grenade item and my car would destroy it in one pass... Chris this answers your e-mail question.. and I got all excited for nothing...DAMN! Looks like we're still using an R200/ R230...

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I was at the chassis shop this weekend and

looking at this pro street truck the guy was building. It had an IRS ford 9" with a huge

adjustable coil overs on doth sides of the drive shafts totaling 4 shocks, it also

had these huge vented/cross drilled rotors

and willwood calipers. It had some 18x10

rims. The whole setup is in a 55 chevy truck that is being built for a "cannonball run" race. I didnt think that there was such a race, but there apparently is a cross country version... This truck was awesome

all the suspension was chrome & billet

aluminum. I asked him how much power he was going to put to the irs and he told me it is getting a VERY modified 502/502 crate motor..

One can only dream!

I agree that the R200 is plenty strong. my only issue is trying to get more gear for around town and cruising on the highway. Mine is the 88 3:7 LSD version. If I could get gearing in the 4.?? rang I think I'd be ideal with the T56. Running 155mph at less than 3800 RPMs was an eye opener to me. I need shorter gears or I will never see redline in 6th gear and that is a big issue... that and keeping the car on the ground and on all four wheels... and pointedin the right direction... free of fire... I know, I know, I'm getting picky again...

Mike

------------------

mjk

Myron, the "cannonball run" these days is called "one lap of america." It is truly a unique race and challange! I am hoping to run a car in it in the enxt 6 or 7 years, but have nothing more concrete than that planned. You can check out info at:

www.onelapofamerica.com

www.onelap.com

There are lots more pages out there if you do a websearch using google or yahoo... Very very neat cars!

Also if you look at sports compact car from about 2 months ago there was an article on Catesby Jones's BMW. A 318ti with a turbo'd E36 M3 engine in it. biggrin.gif 400+hp daily driver that weighs around 2500lbs. Jones finished 2nd overall in one lap in 98, against Diablo's, Vettes, WRX's, Vipers, you name it.

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Mikelly:

...my only issue is trying to get more gear for around town and cruising on the highway. Mine is the 88 3:7 LSD version. If I could get gearing in the 4.?? rang I think I'd be ideal with the T56. Running 155mph at less than 3800 RPMs was an eye opener to me. I need shorter gears or I will never see redline in 6th gear and that is a big issue...

Mike

Can I ask, though, Mike, what a change to a 4.X diff gearset will do to your first gear usage? Isn't there the risk that that gear then becomes useful only for removing excess rubber from tyres? smile.gif Seriously, what I'm getting at is that your time in first gear would be minimal at best, and you'd be almost needing to do fast takeoffs in second? Or does your box have a huge first gear ratio?

I'd sure need a lot of motivation to put an R230 (Z32 TT) diff under my ride. One local guy has it and I"d guess it ways as much or more than my heavy 700R4 tranny. BIG HEAVY unit. Two characteristics I try to avoid. I'd look at a Dana 44 vette IRS unit long before. Their 80-82 had aluminum case and are often avoided as they had a Cclip weakness as the halfshaft acted as a control arm and on this 80-82 unit the Cclips would wear so eventually you could pop an axle on hard cornering. BUT in our use we wouldn't use it as a structural susp. member (the halfshaft)so this would not be of concern and they're available (I know of one in 3.07:-) along with easy to get/affordable rebuild parts.

OR (and I haven't seen this) a '99/00 ford IRS (ie. stang) unit. I know a mech that has one for sale minus halfshafts but NO time to check it out. Not sure they'd offer gears below 3.45 or maybe 3.23 though (unless it's standard ford 9"?, anyone know?)

Jim Biondi's R200 clutch LSD stood up fine so I"m not concerned for my use:-) BUt it's fun thinking about it..

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

I don't think first gear would be hindered that much, and I'm not doing a lot of 1/4 mile so it wouldn't matter. I'm preping the car to do the Nevada Silver state challenge or the Blue Blocker, and a few other events.

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest John Adkins

Mike,

I've heard that the T-bird axles are the weak point, not the diff itself because the axles have a small diameter. The ring and pinion are the same as the solid axle 8.8 which are very strong (I've heard that the Ford 8.8 is almost a carbon copy of the Chevy 12 bolt)... I know they use the T-bird diff in Cobra kit cars making some serious HP but with custom thicker axle shafts....

On your friend's cars, where is he having the failures, in the diff itself or the axles/joints?

Take a look at this page with more t-bird diff info...

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/irs/irs.html

If the 8.8 T-bird diff will work it will open up a lot rearend ratio and LSD options for our Zs...

quote:

Just checked with a friend of mine who specializes in Fords and owns and 8 second mustang and has owned several super coups. He said that the IRS that came in the Thunderbird would not withstand much over 250HP. 300 would make the rear a grenade item and my car would destroy it in one pass... Chris this answers your e-mail question.. and I got all excited for nothing...DAMN! Looks like we're still using an R200/ R230...

Mike

quote:

I don't think first gear would be hindered that much, and I'm not doing a lot of 1/4 mile so it wouldn't matter. I'm preping the car to do the Nevada Silver state challenge or the Blue Blocker, and a few other events.

Mike

What are others experiences with this? My 1st WOT is useless unless 245 R compounds are on and you'd end up with a higher final drive ratio in 1st than I if you went to 4.11's(mine below 11 and yours above). No big deal IMO as then the power is obviosly their and you start out in 2nd as Ron Tyler always did in his Lt1T56240z (1st was useless). (I normally 'drop' into 2 right off the bat for a killer long 22222;^) As long as 2nd and 3rd didn't escape usefullness/traction as well, all the more fun. I assume you're hunting for the rare but obtainable 12mm 4.11's found in a later 80's 200sx (not all~87 turbo, I don't have specific dates) to simply swap into your 3.7 LSD? I had a set a while ago but sold to someone who'd make use of them. Local fella did a set as well into a VLSD he used custom (welded) halfshafts with. He enjoys it immensely in his high hp autox Z. Just stay within the god of traction envelope and enjoy...(and rule out R compound traction as they're usually not allowed in the events you're planning)

PS Mike, have you started stocking up on Nomex yet? better add that to your xmas list:-)

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by BLKMGK:

Stay away from the late model Cobra rears. Those folks are breaking the halfshafts on the launch pad anytime they add sticky tires!

But where are they busting them? if anyplace but the immediate outboard flange it wouldn't consern me. If I were to use one I'd most likely have 280ZXT CV shafts welded to the Cobra units or mated on that outboard flange if parts could be found. And do they get an angularity issue when they get stickies on their? ie. they now have an IRS and I'm guessing they get some squat that might not be accounted for in their setup (I'm guessing new cars, minimal mods, ie. no home improvement on susp. yet...improved rear launch angles etc?) could be wrong....

------------------

I'm not sure where they're breaking but even STOCK Cobras on sticky tires are breaking them on the launch pad. Ford's got a problem here to say the least! Some of them are hopping I've heard and overall folks are just not happy with the IRS that drag race. If I can I'll try to ask about where it's breaking etc. Would pics of an IRS Cobra rear help anyone? I believe there's a portion where the axle necks down that might be breaking - stress riser maybe? I've heard there are aftermarket axles on the way - we'll see if it helps...