HybridZ

'78 280Z, what to do?

Hey guys, So I recently bought this '78 Z, at a very good price. I know this thread is worthless without pics, but my camera decide to take a dump on me! Pics are coming a.s.a.p. The Z has a few spots of surface rust, a little cancer, but not even close too most Z's. Rust is minimal IMO. Paint is the original silver, although a previous repaint was very poorly done. The Z does not have a sunroof, (YAY!), has those dealer (I think) installed aluminum rear window louvers. The bumpers are excellent as are the bumper filler panel thingys. The battery area is rust free. Frame rails are rust free and very straight. The doors and hatch all close nice and tight. The wheels are original with all 4 center caps, unused spare tire, jack, inflator can thingy. The black interior is very, very, clean. New carpet, mats, dashcap, crack free consle, seats are cherry, smells good too, has the "digital" Am/Fm casette "Kraco" radio, remember those? The underhood/engine area is quite clean. The L28/4 speed combo is original, new injectors, tune up, MAF. The previous owner overheated it a bit, and the engine has coolant in the oil, (milkshake). I am thinking head gasket failure, (I hope). Due to the very clean condition, minimal pedal wear, lack of oil leaks, originality, lack of rust, I am thinking that the 49,xxx miles stated on the odometer are correct.

Finally my question is, should I go through the trouble of fixing the L28 to drive for a short while, or should sell the L28/trans and V8 the Z which is what I have always wanted to do anyway?

I welcome any thoughts, opinions, etc.

Thanks, Jason

Sounds like a decent deal you got if its in great shape. Personally I'd slap a V8 in there because thats what I am doing haha. Members on here have made some good numbers on here with L28 converted to fuel injection, mega squirt, and running a turbo. And there are people who have V8's who are making good power too. It's all your preference :). If it has 49,000 original miles, I'd sell it haha, are you sure its not 149,xxx miles?

I wish my 240z had new carpets and an uncracked console =/. Its close though lol.

-Josh

As expected with a car this age, 49,xxx miles seems too good to be true. I am judging this z based on the lack of wear and the very clean condition of the Z. Even if it is 149,xxx miles, the Z is still in great condition. I feel that I can save $ by Hybrid'ing this Z, versus a lesser condition Z with much needed bodywork.

Anyone want to buy an original L28/4 speed drivetrain?

Hmmm, what to do?....

Well you could pull the head and see if it is just a matter of replacing the head gasket, if it is, and you want to drive it with the L28 for a bit, then a new headgasket at that point would be cheap to have some fun with.

If you find that the head is bad or block, or something more than a gasket, I would then just start the V8 swap.

I think you owe it to your car to at least pull the head before making a decision on weather or not to keep the motor.

If it over heated and now has coolant in the oil you'd better HOPE it's just a HG failure, and not a warped head.

For $600 that's quite the deal though! Sounds like a pretty clean car. Definately get some pics to share.

Well I have decided to yank the stock original L28/4spd. Swapping in a fairly tame SBC for now, then later, either a big turbo SBC or LSX.

Does anyone here have a use for the L28/trans/driveshaft?

All wires/connections will be tagged when removed. All engine sensors, ECU, MAF, engine harness, brackets, air intake ducting, air filter housing, and hardware will be included. Starter & alternator also included, essentialy a complete L28 drivetrain.

Keep in mind that engine does need at least the head gasket replaced as there is coolant in the oil.

New parts include, MAF, 6 injectors from MSA, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs all installed by previous owner.

I really don't have a price in mind right now, but I am open to offers.

Trades considered, especially SBC stuff.

Any questions, just ask.

Jason